It's clearly been a great summer and autumn for wildlife photography, based on the superb selection and variety of wildlife you've been seeing, photographing and sharing with us here at Nature's Home.

Reader Lynsey Alson took this superb hoopoe image overseas, which seems to show a marital dispute between a pair of these head-turning birds.

Brian Smith took this female adder at RSPB Minsmere.

"I found this very strange fly being a big pest. It kept coming back and sitting on the adder's jaw. I was hoping it might open its mouth or to try and get rid of it, but it just did nothing. I was watching this for about an hour. The adder did move about at times and did seemed ok. I could see no damage on its body  so do not think it was sick  or injured. After a time it went back into a hole in the log that can be seen behind its head. It was also late afternoon and a bit cold, so was also surprised that it was still about and not undercover."

Jim Lodge sent pictures of one of the flock of spoonbills at RSPB Arne. He said "Great to see them,usually from a distance but on this occasion some of them decided to feed close to the hide. I was so lucky to get these pictures and to see them close up."

The Lodge regular Tim Felce (who also appears in the Winter 2016 issue of Nature's Home) took this amazing image of a stoat in the pond in front of the hide. I'm very jealous as I didn't manage to catch up with the stoat family here on any of my lunchtime walks!

It has been one of the best autumns for rare birds ever, with a very long spell of easterly winds extending deep into Siberia producing a mouth-watering array of birds (including my first ever siberian accentor), but American birds have featured too. Reader Terri Borash photographed this vagrant lesser yellowlegs close to home in Somerset.  

Keep your photos coming to natureshome@rspb.org.uk and you might be seeing it here on the Nature's Home blog, or in the print magazine in the near future.

Parents Comment Children