In our current issue, you’ll find a whole spread (p18-19) of wildlife-related things to see and do this month. How about looking out for hairy dragonflies, the UK’s smallest hawker species, which is on the wing this month, ahead of its larger cousins? You can look out for the hairy, black and blue dragonfly sunning itself around ditches near grazing marshes, gravel and canals. 

Life is truly sprinting into top gear this month. At RSPB Aylesbeare Common you can spend a late night seeking out elusive nightjars on a guided walk with the woodland. More of a mornings person? Try a Tuesday morning bittern survey at RSPB Lakenheath Fen, or learn the who’s who of woodland birdsong at RSPB Leighton Moss. You can search for more events this month at rspb.org.uk/events

There’s so much to do, see, learn and generally embrace… so why not grab a pencil and make a wildlife wish-list for the rest of May? Here’s what’s on ours…

Hedgehog dreams... Photo: Ben Andrew (rspb-images.com)

Anna Scrivenger, Nature’s Home managing editor

I saw this year's first swifts screaming above my garden on bank holiday Monday, but their usual nesting space under my eaves looks to have been commandeered by a noisy family of starlings. I hope that the two species can find a way to co-exist so that I can continue to host and enjoy the swifts - they've been worryingly absent for the past couple of days. I’m also hoping to see a live hedgehog, as it’s been several years since I’ve seen one. I’ve seen a few squashed ones locally, so hopefully there’ll be some still out there - they’d be safe and spoilt rotted in my garden! 

Put a noctunral nightjar expedition on your wish-list? Photo: Grahame Madge (rspb-images.com)

Emma Pocklington, Nature’s Home deputy editor

The sound of maybugs bouncing off the windows is always a herald summer for me, signally that it’s time for some late, clement evenings. This summer, I’ll be doing a couple of night-time wildlife watches to work on my wish list. For the final May bank holiday I’ll be heading to the New Forest to search for nightjars, while in June our April 2018 issue of Wingbeat has inspired me to take a trip to the Forest of Dean to look for wild boar.  

Could you encounter a grass snake this month? Photo: Ben Andrew (rspb-images.com)

Alun Harris, Nature’s Home designer

I’m hoping to spot grass snakes along the Strawberry Line, my local disused railway. We usually see lots during summer, but haven’t seen any yet, apart from a dead one a week ago that something had eaten half of. 

The Arctic terns are returning right now - touching down from their record-breaking migrations from the other side of the world. Photo: Louise Greenhorn (rspb-images.com)

Aisling Brady, Senior Account Executive

This month I’ve already ticked off some bucket-list species sightings! I’ve just returned from a holiday deep in the wilds of the Scottish Highlands. A trip to the Treshnish Isles, off the west coast, allowed me to hang out with thousands of puffins, razorbills, kittiwakes and guillemots on the Isle of Lunga, and three fishing white-tailed eagles off the Isle of Rum which displayed spectacular above us! On a more seasonal note, I am happy to have ticked off Arctic terns which, having arrived just the day before in the Ardnamuchan, flew alongside the boat out from the mainland. 

Well, despite an ambitious target, out of the four of us, I think we can safely say that Aisling's way ahead of the rest of us in ticking off her wish-list for the month. If you're off exploring new regions this month, perhaps you'll tick off a few exciting sights of your own! And, closer to home, May brings a host of wonderful wildlife experiences, from ducklings learning to swim in park ponds, to swallows building their muddy nests in the eaves of old buildings. Keep your eyes peeled and tell us what you see! 

Parents Comment Children
No Data