It’s back to school week round my house, and I’ve sent two somewhat forlorn youngsters back to primary school, marking the end of a summer of camping, wild swimming, cliff walks, pond dipping and woodland bike rides.

Nature is good for children – it’s an instinctive need – and its increasing absence from many children’s lives manifests as Nature Deficit Disorder. As children’s access to the outdoors is increasingly curtailed (for many reasons), their physical and mental wellbeing suffers. I witness my own kids becoming more stroppy and wound-up when cooped up indoors (or worse, forced to go shopping!), but after a few minutes of freedom in the outdoor greenery they’re a delight.

But young people’s lack of contact with nature is bad news for wildlife, too – it risks leading to a lack of understanding and engagement with the natural world among tomorrow’s generations.

In the current issue of Nature’s Home, Mike Dilger shares his experiences enjoying nature with his young son, including these tips that not only help pass on your nature knowledge and help them catch the wildlife bug – but are loads of fun for all generations to enjoy together.

1. Take a dip in the pond

Photo: Nick Curnard, rspb-images.com

The sea undoubtedly holds a magical draw, with its sights, smells and wildlife waiting to be uncovered. But you can capture that same sense of adventure with a pond, whether one in the garden or in the wild, with treasures to be uncovered under the surface with no more than a small net or even a kitchen sieve. Whether you see frogspawn, tadpoles or fully formed little frogs, or even dragonfly larva or a newt, pond dipping offers a world of encounters in and around the water that will stay with a child forever.

2. Build a den

Photo: Ben Andrew (rspb-images.com)

Sleeping outside for a spot of stargazing or getting up early doesn’t necessitate buying a tent, especially when the whole family can pitch in with the construction. Using branches and other material as a base you can build yourselves a very nice den. Use fallen twigs, a tarpaulin or an old blanket or rugs to cover it up. Simple bivouacs are cosy outdoor hideaways, providing more of a challenge than an indoor cushion fort. You can even use ferns and leaves for natural cover, particularly if it's dry. The bigger you make it the more people can have fun inside the den.

3. Get collecting

Photo: Ben Andrew (rspb-images.com)

There’s something primal about picking up something and wanting to keep it, especially among youngsters. This is particularly true of nature, and assembling a collection of pine cones, conkers, feathers, bones, stones and eggshells can help them learn about the world around them. They’re then a great base for showing them to classmates in schools, and can start off an interest in nature that will grow with the child.

4. Become a nature detective

Photo: RSPB (rspb-images.com)

Peering through a pair of binoculars isn’t always the most successful way to spot animals, and isn’t the most active either. Instead why not get out into woods and fields to see if you can find tracks and evidence of larger mammals and other wildlife? You can identify which animal has left footprints by its unique markings in the mud or snow, whether it be badgers, foxes or deer, and may even lead to more clues such as hair or even their home. You can even make casts of the tracks as a keepsake. Get out there, enjoy the fresh air and see what you can find.

5. Enjoy the dawn chorus

Photo: Martin Poyner (rspb-images.com)

Whether you spent the night in your hand-built shelter or tent, or are just early risers, there’s no better start to the day then enjoying the sun rising to the tune of hundreds of birds announcing their presence to the world. Though best in springtime and summer, species chirp and call as a way of competing for mates and territory all year round, so you and your family can enjoy these songs to soothe the soul whenever you choose to start your day the right way – whether on a walk or from the nearest window.

So whatever weather this autumn brings, don’t let the end of the summer holidays signal the end of outdoor adventures for the young people in your life. Pack a jumper, rain-mac and thermos and take them out to showcase the glories of this season’s nature.

I confess that despite my comparatively advanced years I still love to pick up (and cherish) all the shiny conkers gleaming at me from the ground… but why should we grown-ups have all the fun? Nature-based activities are good for kids, good for grown-ups, good for nature and good for the future of the world. Definitely worth braving an autumn wind for.

-------------------- 

DID YOU KNOW? Kids can also earn RSPB Wild Challenge Awards by completing nature-based activities, including all of the above ideas and many more. Sign your family up for year-round wild activities.

Parents Comment Children
No Data