• Nature's Home is coming...

It's a big week for me. On Saturday I will marry my lovely girlfriend Laura, who also works at the RSPB, and on Friday the first issue of the new RSPB magazine, Nature's Home start mailing to members. With so many readers (1.25 million!), it can take almost two weeks for all copies to be sent out, and you should have received your copy by 15 October at the latest.

It's been a busy few weeks (to say the least…

• The Glider

Last week on the blog I took you through the merits of 'poor' weather in wildlife photography.  Hopefully I convinced you to don the waterproofs and get out there in the rain, sleet and snow!  This week I'll be looking at how to use motion blur effectively in your images.  The rules of wildlife photography, particularly birds in flight, would tell the photographer to use as high a shutter speed as possible in…

• The Monarch

It's that time of the week again when I'm going to be writing down a few tips about wildlife photography.  So far we've looked at light, exposure, perspective and wide-angle imagery, this week I'll be taking you through the attributes of so called "poor" weather.  Many non-photographers will perhaps think that strong sunlight and blue skies are the perfect conditions for wildlife photography, well…

• A Mountain View

Over the past few weeks I have been advising you on different ways to improve your wildlife photography portraits.  I looked at getting creative with light, controlling exposure and keeping in mind your perspective.  In this post, I'm hopefully going to convince you to put down the long telephoto lens and try some wide-angle wildlife photography to create an environmental image.  Portraits are great, they show off the…