It's good to see (here) the shooting community supporting the need for a recovery plan for the hen harrier in England - this is a positive step forward. 

As I have written previously (for example, see here), we want a world richer in nature and we want to see a recovery plan that does what it says on the tin, i.e. it secures recovery for the hen harrier in England.  This is something to which the UK Government is committed to through its Biodiversity 2020 Strategy and for which it has legal obligations under the EU Birds Directive.

A target-led approach to species recovery which focuses on tackling the key threats has long been a theme of nature conservation and, indeed, was the basis of the UK Biodiversity Action Plan established in 1994 by the then Environment Secretary, John Gummer, now Lord Deben.

In our discussions with Defra, we have sought to ensure that the developing plan focuses attention on the right issues, especially tackling the root causes of decline. In the case of the hen harrier, the key threat constraining recovery is illegal persecution.

There has been some debate about the relative merits of a so-called brood management scheme (BMS) whereby hen harrier chicks would be removed from a moor when a threshold of birds was reached to remove perceived predation pressure on grouse. 

This is an idea that emerged a few years ago and which we have given considerable thought – indeed we even wrote an article in the Journal of Applied Ecology on the subject in 2009 (see here). 

We have concluded that this may merit experimental investigation in England in the future, but only once hen harrier numbers have recovered to a pre-agreed level and less interventionist approaches, particularly diversionary feeding, have been widely attempted.

It is regarding the conservation target that we and the shooting community differ.  They would like to pilot the BMS now. We think this is not only premature but potentially not compliant with existing legislation.  It would also send a terrible signal to nature conservation that it is appropriate to 'manage' a highly threatened population of an iconic species.

To survive in the 21st century, driven grouse shooting must be able to demonstrate that it can operate in harmony with healthy populations of birds of prey like the hen harrier and that it can address the other negative environmental impacts associated with grouse moor management (here).  This is why we think it is right and timely to license driven grouse shooting. 

The conflict between grouse shooting and environment is understandably becoming an increasingly emotive debate and there have, over the past three years, been four separate e-petitions on the Number 10 website about birds of prey and grouse shooting.  Most people want the wildlife in our uplands to flourish and I note the growing support for Hen Harrier day being organised on 10 August.  While I shall be on holiday for the day itself, I shall be there in spirit hoping that it helps put a spotlight on illegal killing. I know many RSPB supporters, staff and volunteers will be attending and adding their support to the call for the end of illegal persecution of the hen harrier.

In the meantime, we look forward to continuing our work with Defra, the shooting community and others to secure an effective hen harrier recovery plan so that everyone can get behind it soon. It's only by working together that we'll save the hen harrier and we're determined to reach an agreement.

Parents
  • Andrew/Martin

Here's the research on relocating Montagu's harriers in France from arable fields about to the harvested

globalraptors.org/.../post-fledging_dependence_2000.pdf

The hen harrier globally is in fine fettle but as the UK is unique in its use of heather moorland for driven grouse shooting, some form of conflict has been unavoidable.

Resolving this will involve compromise from both sides and the key is obviously not the level of intervention (see above) but the point at which it occurs based on numbers of breeding hen harriers in England.

We might never know that figure, because if I had a breeding pair on my land, I'm not sure I would let anyone know!

Mainly for the sake of the birds themselves.  

Comment
  • Andrew/Martin

Here's the research on relocating Montagu's harriers in France from arable fields about to the harvested

globalraptors.org/.../post-fledging_dependence_2000.pdf

The hen harrier globally is in fine fettle but as the UK is unique in its use of heather moorland for driven grouse shooting, some form of conflict has been unavoidable.

Resolving this will involve compromise from both sides and the key is obviously not the level of intervention (see above) but the point at which it occurs based on numbers of breeding hen harriers in England.

We might never know that figure, because if I had a breeding pair on my land, I'm not sure I would let anyone know!

Mainly for the sake of the birds themselves.  

Children
No Data