The content of the Hen Harrier Action Plan has once again been subject to much commentary through social media (see here and here) .  This was triggered by news that another conservation organisation, the Hawk and Owl Trust, has agreed to run an experiment to test a scheme known as brood management.

This is not the way to formulate policy in a highly contested area and it reinforces my view that the brood management scheme should have been put out to public consultation.  There is little trust between the grouse and raptor communities and I fail to see how deals done behind closed doors will instill confidence.

Our position on the Action Plan and the proposed brood management scheme – see here - has not changed.

We believe brood management could merit experimental investigation in the future, but only once hen harrier numbers have recovered to a pre-agreed level and less interventionist approaches, particularly diversionary feeding, have been widely attempted.

We think that’s reasonable, given that it gives estates a chance to tackle impacts through diversionary feeding, and puts the beleaguered hen harrier first by giving the species a chance to recover naturally.

Those designing or promoting the plan will have to answer a number of questions to carry public confidence (we've posed 25), but by far and away the most important ones are...

1. What are the objectives of the trial?

2. What is the legal basis for carry out such a trial?

The former matters because a trial is a trial – it is designed to test a proposition and report on whether it was successful.  The latter – well, you’d want any scheme to operate within the law wouldn’t you?  But, given there is a proven and less interventionist way of reducing predation of grouse by hen harriers (ie diversionary feeding) or reducing illegal killing (ie stop illegal killing), I remain unclear as to how a trial would respect protected species legislation.

While all of this is rumbling on, I thought it would be useful to reiterate what we should all be trying to achieve i.e. recovery of one England’s most threatened species.

Back in 2011, the Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC) published ‘A Conservation Framework for Hen Harriers in the United Kingdom’ http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/pdf/jncc441.pdf . The JNCC provides the Government with advice on nature conservation issues. The document sets out targets for what is known as favourable conservation status and identifies the constraints acting on hen harrier populations across the UK. But, what is this so-called favourable conservation status and what does it mean?

The wording in the EU Birds Directive and Habitats Directive is the key. They say that ‘‘conservation status of a species means the sum of the influences acting on the species concerned that may affect the long-term distribution and abundance of its populations’’ and that ‘‘the conservation status will be taken as ‘favourable’ when:

• population dynamics data on the species indicate that it is maintaining itself on a long-term basis as a viable component of its natural habitats;
  • the natural range of the species is neither being reduced nor is likely to be reduced for the foreseeable future; and
  • there is, and will probably continue to be, a sufficiently large habitat to maintain its populations on a long-term basis.’’

Favourable conservation status does not mean that when criteria are reached populations can be capped or managed through culling. It simply defines a ‘safety net’ to ensure populations, like that of the hen harrier in England, do not drop below dangerous threshold and when they do, that urgent action should be taken to seek recovery.

In the current JNCC Framework, regional targets for favourable conservation status were set as follows:

• A minimum of 1.2 young fledged per breeding attempt; • at least 44% of the apparently suitable habitat occupied; and
  • a density (number of pairs per 100 km2) threshold of 2.12 pairs per 100 km2 of suitable habitat.

Based on an estimate of 6,636 km2 of habitat, this suggests that England should be supporting at least 61 pairs to achieve favourable conservation status. Yet, based on the total area of suitable habitat available and the best available data at the time, the authors estimated that the potential English population could be as high as 323-340 pairs.  I understand that a second version of the JNCC Framework is to be published soon.  We'll see if the numbers change.

In 2014, there were only four successful hen harrier nests in England. So, whether you agree with JNCC’s criteria or not, we have a very long way to go to reach their estimate for favourable conservation status and even further if these birds were left to settle and breed in the areas where they should be an integral part of our countryside. Whatever methods Defra decides to back in the Hen Harrier Action Plan, we believe the test of its success will be the recovery of the hen harrier across all suitable habitat and that this should be the ultimate objective.

The RSPB will work with everyone who wants to secure favourable conservation status and then build on that to secure full recovery across suitable habitat. That’s why we support the majority of the Defra-lead Hen Harrier Action Plan (the actions that tackle illegal persecution threat directly and promote diversionary feeding) and are stepping up our own efforts through our new EU LIFE+ funded project. You can read more about this new and exciting project and how you can get involved at http://www.rspb.org.uk/henharrierlife/.

Parents
  • Clearly diversionary feeding has not delivered the artificially high density of grouse required to support driven shooting at Langholm within the timeframe, but as the report states, numbers started at a very low base.

Diversionary feeding, alongside other legal gamekeeping measures, has helped to increase the grouse population at Langholm considerably in the last few years.  So, for grouse moors which currently are economically viable - i.e. where there is already an extremely high grouse population producing the required surplus to be shot - it seems to me that it would be well worth trialling diversionary feeding before we start to interfere with broods.

Comment
  • Clearly diversionary feeding has not delivered the artificially high density of grouse required to support driven shooting at Langholm within the timeframe, but as the report states, numbers started at a very low base.

Diversionary feeding, alongside other legal gamekeeping measures, has helped to increase the grouse population at Langholm considerably in the last few years.  So, for grouse moors which currently are economically viable - i.e. where there is already an extremely high grouse population producing the required surplus to be shot - it seems to me that it would be well worth trialling diversionary feeding before we start to interfere with broods.

Children
No Data