It’s arrived!

A crisp copy of our new magazine, Nature’s Home, landed on my desk on Friday.

I know our editorial team has been flat out for weeks preparing for the launch of Nature’s Home and I think it looks really good.  

The new magazine will be full of wildlife (and lots of birds) and will tell the stories of the great people who are working so hard to give nature a home. Graham Hirons‘ contribution to the vision and design of wetland nature reserves is a special feature in this issue – and rightly so.

It's full of ideas of places to go and wonderful winter wildlife to see – places like our Snettisham reserve which will be stuffed full of thousands of wading birds escaping the Arctic chill further north.  I shall be taking the family there for a late birthday treat in a couple of weeks time.

Nature’s Home will examine some of the challenges nature faces and in issue 1 we head to the hills to  look at the future of our uplands – I will comment further on this in the next few days on this blog.

Developing our magazine and introducing a fresh approach was an easy decision – changing it’s name from Birds was harder – though the selection of a flock of turnstone on the front cover is a clear sign that birds will remain at the heart of the magazine.  I’ve even been given my own column - page 31 by the way.  Now that really was a brave decision.

I’d love to know your views – once you’ve had a chance to spend time between the covers of Nature’s Home.

And if you have no idea what I’m talking about – it will probably be because you haven’t joined the RSPB. You can fix that by joining here

Happy reading.

Parents
  • Martin,   Like Sooty I can't really yet comment on the new magazine because, although a member, mine hasn't arrived either.

Unlike Sooty I do feel that the content will be welcome and new, I can't see all the publicity going into this without an editorial team that will produce the goods.

You do know what I am going to say next. I still cannot understand the name change and am unlikely to get used to it. When I go to the library and am searching the shelves, books initially leap into my hand from the title cover not from the content.

I will read it because it will come through the door.  When I have finished with it and it sits in my doctor's surgery it will sit there anonymously with country life, natural world etc and will not stand out as a birds magazine for the RSPB.  It still sounds like a good publicity magazine title for someone like Nick Watts to sell his bird food through.  

Comment
  • Martin,   Like Sooty I can't really yet comment on the new magazine because, although a member, mine hasn't arrived either.

Unlike Sooty I do feel that the content will be welcome and new, I can't see all the publicity going into this without an editorial team that will produce the goods.

You do know what I am going to say next. I still cannot understand the name change and am unlikely to get used to it. When I go to the library and am searching the shelves, books initially leap into my hand from the title cover not from the content.

I will read it because it will come through the door.  When I have finished with it and it sits in my doctor's surgery it will sit there anonymously with country life, natural world etc and will not stand out as a birds magazine for the RSPB.  It still sounds like a good publicity magazine title for someone like Nick Watts to sell his bird food through.  

Children
No Data