I have just returned from my first Council weekend.  The RSPB Management Board and Trustees have annual trips to get an insight into the work of different parts of the organisation. 

On this occasion, we helped to celebrate the centenary of the RSPB’s work in Wales.  It was a chance to reflect on successes and look forward to some of our future challenges:  red kite, chough and black grouse populations all up; woodland birds, lapwing and curlew populations declining. 

The weekend was brilliantly organised with a precision akin to the Royal Wedding, but with a little less of the pomp. 

The highlight for me was being reminded of the impact of our failed attempt to stop the Cardiff Bay Barrage.  Although unsuccessful at the time, there was a silver lining: we made the case that developers should provide new habitat to compensate for the damage caused to any internationally important site.  The result was the creation of Newport Wetlands – a prime wildlife site which now receives 80,000 visitors a year. 

The implications for any other development on the Severn estuary are considerable.  Last year, the UK Government decided not to subsidise a tidal power scheme.  But if a private developer can find the money, they would be wise to take environmental considerations into account in the design of any scheme.  If the energy case adds up, if there are no alternatives and if consent was granted then the developer would have to compensate for any damage caused.  And it follows, the smaller the impact, the smaller the compensatory habitat required.

Other highlights of the trip include:

- 83 bird species – much higher than my pessimistic prediction of 57 – including large flocks of whimbrel and shelduck.

- Being greeted by a the City of Newport male voice choir at Newport Wetlands

- Spring flowers including early purple and marsh orchids

- Following the Dylan Thomas Birthday Walk at Laugharne.  Folk are encouraged to do this walk on their birthday and recite out loud the last verse of Thomas’ Poem for October.  This walk coincided with the actual birthday of Katie-Jo Luxton, RSPB’s Director of Wales.  I didn’t hear her speak these words, but, if that way inclined, you could celebrate both Katie and RSPB Cymru’s birthdays by following the link and reading the poem out loud OR simply shout out Penblwydd Hapus!