The RSPB’s latest report on crimes against wild birds; Birdcrime 2015, goes live today. Although we’ve been publishing yearly reports on illegal killing of wild birds, this year the report is online. I am pleased to welcome Angela Smith MP, and Hen Harrier Species Champion, to give her reflections on the report and what it means for one species in particular - the hen harrier.

-------------------------

The upland areas in my constituency, Penistone and Stockbridge, are a fantastic place to see some of the wonders that nature provides. From curlew to snipe, golden plover to mountain hare; the uplands are full of sights not to be missed. But there are some species missing. In common with other parts of the UK, many of the glorious birds of prey that should call the upland home are still being unlawfully killed.

Birdcrime 2015

Birdcrime 2015 is the most recent instalment of RSPB’s annual report on illegal killing of wild birds. And the findings are truly shocking.

In 2015, the RSPB received 196 reports of shooting, trapping and destruction of birds of prey. 64 of these were confirmed, including the shooting of 46 birds of prey, and 16 trapping incidents. There were 32 confirmed incidents of wildlife poisoning, including 15 buzzards, four red kites and three peregrine falcons.

Whilst the overall numbers are disheartening, the impact it is having on individual species is devastating. The English uplands have enough habitat for over 300 pairs of hen harriers, but in 2016 only three pairs successfully raised any chicks. The hen harrier is the most threatened bird of prey in England and we are at serious risk losing this species.

For me this loss is personal as I am the Species Champion for the hen harrier. That means it is my privilege and responsibility to be a voice for these beautiful birds in Parliament.

Image courtesy of Tim Melling

What can be done?

1. Understand the threat

Though shocking, Birdcrime shows only the small proportion of crimes against birds of prey that are actually discovered. There is significant scientific research that shows the serious impact of persecution on hen harriers and other birds of prey. The more recent use of satellite tags on bird of prey, with birds found illegally killed or mysteriously disappearing, raises yet more concerns. In Scotland, work is underway to investigate the fate of missing satellite tagged birds of prey. A similar investigation of the satellite tag data held by Natural England on hen harriers should be considered.

2. Make sure the law works

Birds of prey have been legally protected for decades. But legal status alone is not enough; it must be properly enforced. Regulation must be backed up by effective sanctions, and any reports of illegal activity must be properly investigated.

3. Create an industry that’s fair for all

Historically, grouse moors and the accompanying heather management have shaped our uplands, giving them the tradition and character I see throughout my constituency. The businesses that operate in these areas have helped manage these uplands, providing jobs and recreation to local people.

However, with a worrying number of birds found killed on or near grouse moors and intensive management practices that include damaging burning on deep peat, there are serious questions about future management of the moors. Members of the shooting community who condemn the illegal killing of birds of prey must help by driving up standards in their industry. This could include supporting the government in introducing vicarious liability and a robust system of licensing, improving accountability and transparency.

Responsible landowners have nothing to fear from this and everything to gain; by isolating and effectively dealing with the illegal practice, law abiding estates can gain rightful credibility and trust.  

A feathered future

Birdcrime 2015 makes clear the perilous position some of our raptor populations are in. We simply cannot wait before we deal with this problem. In 2009, the UK Government set Raptor Persecution as one of the national wildlife crime priorities yet serious problems remain. We need better regulation and enforcement to constructively deal with the conflict on our grouse moors.

For the sake of our precious species, we need the UK Government to show leadership and demonstrate their sense of the responsibility that now falls at their feet. No more prevarication; let’s have leadership, determination and a promise that our raptors and our uplands can look forward to better days.

• Rob, probably unconsciously, has made a very good point: for peace to have a chance the killing has to stop. Both his and Phillip's views are disingenuous: responsibility does not lie with the Government. It lies with each individual gamekeeper who kills a Hen Harrier and with the individual owners of estates who, if not directly ordering the killing, at the very least turn a blind eye. With not one pair of Hen Harrier succeeding on a Grouse Moor in England in 2016 every single grouse shooting estate is implicated - and that includes bodies like the National Trust who appear determined to re-let their shooting in the Dark Peak despite an appalling record of persecution on and around their land. Literally the only organisation to show any conciliation has been RSPB which agreed to participate in the Hen Harrier plan, meeting what should have been a reciprocal effort to conserve at least some Hen harriers by grouse shooting interests. Not only was their good faith thrown back in their face, but far from any concessions there have been a series of attacks on RSPB from extremist shooting supporters like 'You forgot the birds'. I have not seen Phillip or Rob - or in fact anyone else in the shooting lobby condemning these attacks. The initiative is clearly in the shooting camp: halt the extinction of Hen Harriers in England or risk the entire future of your sport.  

• I received this comment from Philip Merricks who asked me to post it for him...

"Angela Smith’s blog raises important issues regarding the future of Hen Harriers.  Having recently shared a platform with Angela at the Sheffield Hen Harrier conference and then the next day having  walked across what could and should be the raptor rich moors of her constituency, I share her anger and frustration with the continuing illegal killing of raptors.

As Species Champion for Hen Harriers, Angela made a thoughtful speech in the recent Westminster Hall Hen Harrier debate.  However Angela, more than anyone, will be aware that she was the only member of her Party – the official opposition party – who attended and spoke at the debate.

An omission that left the field clear for Government MPs and the Minister, Therese Coffey who repeated the point that Government had no intention at all of introducing the two measures that Angela is promoting – vicarious liability and licensing.

Which leaves Defra’s/Natural England’s Hen Harrier Recovery Action Plan as the only positive, practical and pragmatic way forward to end the illegal killing. Which is very much the approach supported by Government.  An approach which Angela did not oppose at the Sheffield conference.  And as Angela, more than most, will be aware, politics is the art of the possible.

It is possible to end this appalling killing of Hen Harriers.  The Recovery Action Plan is one way.  The other is to continue to promote two measures (vicarious liability and licensing) which, in my personal opinion, need not be mutually exclusive to the Recovery Action Plan but as all well know don’t stand a chance of being implemented until there is a change of Government.  

Which may not be for a long time.

Hen Harriers cannot wait that long."

• Martin

Angela is right to say that the only leadership can come from government. The rest of the those involved in this discussion are becoming more and more antagonistic to the detriment of hen harriers themselves. This is not helped at times by social media, a matter that Angela Smith and I presented on to the GWCT APPG last year twitter.com/.../733664294081048576.

Non-judgemental space and trust are required in spades to enable dialogue to  bring peace to this divisive issue. If Sinn Fein in N Ireland and Farc in Columbia can find peace, then so can we.

Yours, Rob

www.robyorke.co.uk        

www.robyorke.co.uk