I’m afraid to be the bearer of extremely bad news regarding one of our rarest birds of prey.  I’ve just received confirmation that three male hen harriers have disappeared from active nests in the Forest of Bowland.

The disappearances have happened over the last three weeks. At one nest the male disappeared three weeks ago, with males at two other active nests not being seen since last Thursday.  Fortunately, a juvenile male appeared at the first nest almost immediately and was accepted by the female, so thankfully her eggs have been saved.  However, the other two nests have not been so lucky.  In the absence of males to provide them with food, the hungry females were forced to abandon their eggs or face starvation, resulting in the failure of both nests.

Andy Hay's image of a male hen harrier

All three of the nests affected are on the United Utilities Bowland Estate.  We have a fantastic relationship with the water company, United Utilities and their shooting and farming tenants, built up over decades of partnership working. The United Utilities estate has for many years been the hen harriers last stronghold in England.  I’m sure all of their staff and tenants will be as saddened as RSPB’s staff on the ground and I am disheartened by this news.

Male hen harriers disappearing while part of an active nesting attempt is exceptionally unusual in most habitats.  A 2008 Natural England report “A Future for the Hen Harrier in England?”, found that it was almost never recorded in most habitats, while nearly 70% of nesting attempts which failed on grouse moors, did so because an adult disappeared (see figure 4 on page 14).  

Obviously it’s very early days and there will certainly be more to come on this case.  In the meantime, anyone who thinks they may have any information relevant to the disappearance of these three harriers should contact the local police.

What’s been happening to our hen harriers?

We mean to find out.

Parents
  • Rob - across England, we are hopefully for more successful nests.  You have, via twitter, referred to a fourth nest on Bowland.  My understanding is that this fourth pair was preparing to nest at the time of the disappearance of the three males.  So we are hopeful of two successful nests on Bowland.  Regarding other causes for the disappearance, I simply refer again to the NE research quoted in the blog.  Such disappearances, other than on grouse moors are exceptionally rare.

Comment
  • Rob - across England, we are hopefully for more successful nests.  You have, via twitter, referred to a fourth nest on Bowland.  My understanding is that this fourth pair was preparing to nest at the time of the disappearance of the three males.  So we are hopeful of two successful nests on Bowland.  Regarding other causes for the disappearance, I simply refer again to the NE research quoted in the blog.  Such disappearances, other than on grouse moors are exceptionally rare.

Children
No Data