I got off a train at Wellingborough station at noon on Thursday and was talking on the 'phone as I tried to remember where I'd left my car on Monday morning. 

I couldn't remotely describe myself as birdwatching at that time and yet I noticed a flock of birds flying in the distance.  Something about them made me look closer and even though they were distant, I knew they were waxwings - about 50 of them. 

I sat in my car talking on the 'phone and as I did the waxwings did a fly-past removing any doubt - although there wasn't any doubt really.

In a non-waxwing winter I might not have been as tuned in to these birds as I clearly am now, but even that brief distant initial view was enough.  I am tuned in to the natural world.  I spot waxwings even though I am not consciously looking for waxwings, and I hear birds calling or singing even though I am not actively listening for them.  And I can't quite understand why everyone else isn't tuned in like me.  But I also know that there is too much of the natural world from which I am tuned out.  What plants or insects do I ignore through bad tuning? I must do something about that.  But for now, I do have waxwings.

A love of the natural world demonstrates that a person is a cultured inhabitant of planet Earth.

Parents
  • Had marvellous views of waxwings the other week in Reading. I don't think those interested in the natural world ( and everyone should be because it is in their own interest to be so) should be expected to know everything. It is just not possible to be a universal expert in nature. It is so diverse, that is one of many reasons why homo sapiens needs to cherish it.

PS you were up even earlier than usual  this morning Mark with this bolg posted at 4.54.!!  

redkite

Comment
  • Had marvellous views of waxwings the other week in Reading. I don't think those interested in the natural world ( and everyone should be because it is in their own interest to be so) should be expected to know everything. It is just not possible to be a universal expert in nature. It is so diverse, that is one of many reasons why homo sapiens needs to cherish it.

PS you were up even earlier than usual  this morning Mark with this bolg posted at 4.54.!!  

redkite

Children
No Data