I got off a train at Wellingborough station at noon on Thursday and was talking on the 'phone as I tried to remember where I'd left my car on Monday morning. 

I couldn't remotely describe myself as birdwatching at that time and yet I noticed a flock of birds flying in the distance.  Something about them made me look closer and even though they were distant, I knew they were waxwings - about 50 of them. 

I sat in my car talking on the 'phone and as I did the waxwings did a fly-past removing any doubt - although there wasn't any doubt really.

In a non-waxwing winter I might not have been as tuned in to these birds as I clearly am now, but even that brief distant initial view was enough.  I am tuned in to the natural world.  I spot waxwings even though I am not consciously looking for waxwings, and I hear birds calling or singing even though I am not actively listening for them.  And I can't quite understand why everyone else isn't tuned in like me.  But I also know that there is too much of the natural world from which I am tuned out.  What plants or insects do I ignore through bad tuning? I must do something about that.  But for now, I do have waxwings.

A love of the natural world demonstrates that a person is a cultured inhabitant of planet Earth.

Parents
  • Nice post Mark - being 'tuned in' is a great way of referring to it.  Being able to spot birds and plants that others have no clue about.  It's like any problem you care to mention- once you know how its solved its easy.  I wonder about a lot of my fellow human beings - going through life blindfolded.  

I especially like spotting urban/suburban Sparrowhawks circling high up whilst everyone goes about their business below........oblivious.    

Comment
  • Nice post Mark - being 'tuned in' is a great way of referring to it.  Being able to spot birds and plants that others have no clue about.  It's like any problem you care to mention- once you know how its solved its easy.  I wonder about a lot of my fellow human beings - going through life blindfolded.  

I especially like spotting urban/suburban Sparrowhawks circling high up whilst everyone goes about their business below........oblivious.    

Children
No Data