Songbird Survival have been in the news a bit recently - and I wrote a blog concerning them just recently (here) to add to a few mentions they have had in the past (click here, here and here).

One of their supporters appears to be Mr Mark Osborne, a game manager from Banbury, who wrote recently in the Farmers Weekly about the 'extraordinary imbalance' of raptors.  I've met Mr Osborne a couple of times and he is a well known figure in shooting circles. 

When I say that he is well known in shooting circles I refer to the fact that apparently he is known for his ability to take a poor grouse moor and turn it around.  James Marchington, an occasional poster on this blog, and one of the most reasonable figures in the shooting community (at least on a good day) wrote of Mr Osborne's bad luck in running moors where illegally killed eagles have been found over the last few years.  And the Guardian has mentioned Mr Osborne's name too. 

But Mr Osborne usually keeps out of the limelight so it's interesting that these days he appears to be emboldened to speak on the subject of raptors.  And he is not that keen on raptors - I got that impression when we met. 

Mr Osborne writes of the 'massive localised damage being caused by some raptor species' and 'We in the countryside are going to have to accept often significant damage caused by raptors, but equally if this damage is at a level that threatens to wipe out the prey species, or even take their populations to a vulnerable low, then we should be unequivocally pushing for control of raptors in some format.  That way we may actually make some progress.'.

Well, apart from the fact that I live in the countryside, and used to live in the countryside near Banbury where Mr Osborne lives, and I don't share Mr Osborne's views, this is the clearest call for a long time for a reduction in protection for raptors.  This subject never goes away.  Those 210,567 signatures calling for the protection of birds of prey may well come into their own again in the future.

Another trustee of Songbird Survival, Robert Middleditch from Suffolk, was outspoken as an opponent of the proposed reintroduction of sea eagles to Suffolk.  He feared that these eagles would further reduce farmland bird populations.  The prospect of an eagle chasing a skylark or a linnet or a corn bunting takes quite a stretch of the imagination.  The ecological understanding embedded in these statements is poor. 

And it's interesting that some of those supporting Songbird Survival such as Lord Coke and Mr Osborne come from a shooting background. 

A love of the natural world demonstrates that a person is a cultured inhabitant of planet Earth.

Parents
  • davidbinos.   To take one paragraph out of 56 pages of a research report and use it to claim the RSPB is calling for predator control is a bit strange.   It is a research report and quite rightly would be criticised as incomplete if it didn't include that as a possible option and it is certainly not what the summary findings say.

Now have a look at the latest RSPB research into predation on ground nesting birds and you will see it is aimed at habitat control. I am not sure what the outcome is; I don't think it is quite finished.

I have been a member of the RSPB for 40 years.  In that time there have been various fashions in criticsm of the organisation and these have ranged widely.  I never known a time when such heavy criticism is aimed specifically at an apparent failure to support bird killing (amongst others) which is a subject that their own charter would require them to fight against.

Comment
  • davidbinos.   To take one paragraph out of 56 pages of a research report and use it to claim the RSPB is calling for predator control is a bit strange.   It is a research report and quite rightly would be criticised as incomplete if it didn't include that as a possible option and it is certainly not what the summary findings say.

Now have a look at the latest RSPB research into predation on ground nesting birds and you will see it is aimed at habitat control. I am not sure what the outcome is; I don't think it is quite finished.

I have been a member of the RSPB for 40 years.  In that time there have been various fashions in criticsm of the organisation and these have ranged widely.  I never known a time when such heavy criticism is aimed specifically at an apparent failure to support bird killing (amongst others) which is a subject that their own charter would require them to fight against.

Children
No Data