The Mail on Sunday ran a 'story' yesterday on the 'fact' that Richard Benyon, A Defra Minister, earns £2m from EU farm subsidies.  On closer reading you will find that the £2m is over a 10-year period and so averages out at £200k per annum.  

And the Mail on Sunday states that 100,000 UK farmers share £3bn in farm subsidies which means they average out at around £30k per farm per annum. Because of the way the subsidies are allocated, big farms get big amounts, and I am a little surprised if Mr Benyon's farm, at, we are told, 20,000 acres, receives as little as £200k but it could be right. 

The Mail on Sunday also says that Agriculture Minister James Paice, who is a farmer, has received 'several thousands' of pounds too over the last decade.  I'd be very surprised if he hasn't!

And, the RSPB gets these payments too - as written about before on this blog.  Anyone who owns farmland would be mad not to claim the money on offer.

Last year we wrote in the Guardian about the faults of the CAP - they are manifold and manifest.  But the faults are in the fact that most CAP payments are in the form of income support and aren't encouraging more environmentally friendly farming.   If we want to give all farmers, including Mr Benyon, the RSPB and the President of the NFU, income support that is fine, I guess.  It's support that hasn't suffered at all in the recession which the rest of the economy is experiencing.  But the real need is to make sure that that money produces a better countryside for us all.  I am sure that Mr Benyon and the RSPB would both want to be near the front of the queue to receive money from a reformed CAP which paid farmers for farming sustainably.  The fact that the CAP does not do enough to encourage sustainable farming practice is a real scandal.

A love of the natural world demonstrates that a person is a cultured inhabitant of planet Earth.

Parents
  • Hi Mally thanks for your comment and seems we are in broad agreement,this was obviously done for maximum embarrassment as usually photo appears as exclusive in one paper whereas this appeared simultaneously in at least 5 papers.What should not be discounted that someone put a dead lamb where Eagle was bound to find it for a photo.

Think it has been essential on Mull for broad payments which fosters good relations because obviously sheep farmers can look at things slightly differently if compensated and they probably help Eagles through the winter with sheep losses.

As a retired dairy farmer have a good idea about animal behaviour and I very much doubt if Sea Eagles are much of a threat to live animals such as lambs as after watching admittedly older lambs reaction to Sea Eagles in their field in close proximity they see no threat and quite happy.

Comment
  • Hi Mally thanks for your comment and seems we are in broad agreement,this was obviously done for maximum embarrassment as usually photo appears as exclusive in one paper whereas this appeared simultaneously in at least 5 papers.What should not be discounted that someone put a dead lamb where Eagle was bound to find it for a photo.

Think it has been essential on Mull for broad payments which fosters good relations because obviously sheep farmers can look at things slightly differently if compensated and they probably help Eagles through the winter with sheep losses.

As a retired dairy farmer have a good idea about animal behaviour and I very much doubt if Sea Eagles are much of a threat to live animals such as lambs as after watching admittedly older lambs reaction to Sea Eagles in their field in close proximity they see no threat and quite happy.

Children
No Data