I've been at the CLA Game Fair today - always an interesting event!

I met lots of old friends and some people I wouldn't exactly class as friends but are quite interesting.

We had a small reception on our stand which was well attended - including two Defra Ministers, Mr Paice and Mr Benyon.  Our Chief Executive, Mike Clarke spoke about Futurescapes and the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust's relatively new Chairman, Ian Coghill, made an excellent speech which majored on collaboration.  Ian would, himself, be a very easy person with whom to collaborate.

I was on a panel which was supposed to discuss whether the government's priority should be fox-hunting, badger culling  or bird conservation!It was a discussion about badgers!

Because the Minister Mr Paice was on the panel we learned quite a lot - I think I helped to tease out the information.  The government will consult in the autumn on the way forward.  This will include a review of the science and an approach which will, it seems, include some culling, some vaccination and some controls on cattle movements.  The costs of any culling will largely be met by the farming industry. 

I think the RSPB can welcome this approach.  This issue is very contentious - that much was clear in the room and each time I mention badgers on this blog.  To set out the thinking and the science must be a good idea.  I am sure that Mr Paice is keen to see some badger culling go ahead, but at least the government is sticking to its election manifesto pledge to be led by science (it seems) and at least there will be a consultation before a decision.  We await the consultation with interest.

A love of the natural world demonstrates that a person is a cultured inhabitant of planet Earth.

Parents
  • Well seems I ought to say what I mean when saying nothing being done,what is happening without doubt is that the disease is almost out of control and I cannot see any progress while everyone pussyfoots around like headless chickens with no progress at all.Could not see any other country messing around in this manner.Sorry as you are obviously better educated than me but think you are completely wrong to say that farming community delayed vaccine by seeing culling as the answer as I believe scientists should not or would not take any notice of that and try as hard as possible to produce a vaccine as a matter of urgency.Most farmers and vets do believe that Badgers are a big cause and as we can control cattle movements we cannot the Badger but for certain many farmers or even most would not want to cull badgers for any other reason than the spread of disease or they would do it on the quiet as easy as pie.My phrase nothing been done definitely did not mean no culling been done as I have repeatedly said that we farmed with Badgers on the farm for 28 years.There just has to be a solution but no one grasps the nettle while it is easy to invade Arab countries killing lots of innocent people and lots of troops killed and more seriously injured pumping money left right and centre with head of M I 5 retired or similar saying we have worsened the terrorist threat it is impossible to get the government to tackle a serious issue at home.If you scientists cannot agree that culling will solve the problem and some do some don't then I personally think there just has to be another answer however difficult.Must repeat cannot think most people including farmers want a cull if another way,for certain I am in that position  

Comment
  • Well seems I ought to say what I mean when saying nothing being done,what is happening without doubt is that the disease is almost out of control and I cannot see any progress while everyone pussyfoots around like headless chickens with no progress at all.Could not see any other country messing around in this manner.Sorry as you are obviously better educated than me but think you are completely wrong to say that farming community delayed vaccine by seeing culling as the answer as I believe scientists should not or would not take any notice of that and try as hard as possible to produce a vaccine as a matter of urgency.Most farmers and vets do believe that Badgers are a big cause and as we can control cattle movements we cannot the Badger but for certain many farmers or even most would not want to cull badgers for any other reason than the spread of disease or they would do it on the quiet as easy as pie.My phrase nothing been done definitely did not mean no culling been done as I have repeatedly said that we farmed with Badgers on the farm for 28 years.There just has to be a solution but no one grasps the nettle while it is easy to invade Arab countries killing lots of innocent people and lots of troops killed and more seriously injured pumping money left right and centre with head of M I 5 retired or similar saying we have worsened the terrorist threat it is impossible to get the government to tackle a serious issue at home.If you scientists cannot agree that culling will solve the problem and some do some don't then I personally think there just has to be another answer however difficult.Must repeat cannot think most people including farmers want a cull if another way,for certain I am in that position  

Children
No Data