Given the hoo-ha whipped up about the possibility of reintroducing white-tailed eagles back to East Anglia I was interested in seeing the lengths to which Americans go to celebrate their national bird - the bald eagle (a close relative of the white-tailed eagle).

Around this time of year there are eagle days in Iowa, Idaho, Oklahoma and Illinois. In Utah , Connecticut and Wisconsin you have to wait until February, South Dakota goes for March, Alaska opts for November and that's where I stopped looking.  But the tone of all these events is highly celebratory.  These local communities are chuffed to bits that they have eagles that have made such a good population recovery and you get the impression that the more bald eagles there are, the happier people are.

And these are people who are living with eagles - they might be expected to know a thing or two about them!

A love of the natural world demonstrates that a person is a cultured inhabitant of planet Earth.

Parents
  • Hi Mark ref RSPB spokesman saying along the lines of farmers more or less doing very little for £2.5 billion please ask him to come on your comments and justify what has been said because I would be very interested and do not think he can justify those comments.Please invite him or her and if it is not forthcoming I will have to conclude it is another comment just dragged up and thrown at farmers.

Really looking forward to reply.

Sadly RSPB cannot claim they are not anti farmer while coming out with comments like this.

To get this money farmers will have had to comply with a very strict set of rules and if the spokesman isn't happy they need to change the rules.SIMPLE REALLY.

OF COURSE AS I HAVE ALREADY SAID I DON'T BELIEVE A VERY BIG % OF THIS MONEY WENT TO BRITISH FARMERS.

LETS HAVE THE TRUE FACTS.

Comment
  • Hi Mark ref RSPB spokesman saying along the lines of farmers more or less doing very little for £2.5 billion please ask him to come on your comments and justify what has been said because I would be very interested and do not think he can justify those comments.Please invite him or her and if it is not forthcoming I will have to conclude it is another comment just dragged up and thrown at farmers.

Really looking forward to reply.

Sadly RSPB cannot claim they are not anti farmer while coming out with comments like this.

To get this money farmers will have had to comply with a very strict set of rules and if the spokesman isn't happy they need to change the rules.SIMPLE REALLY.

OF COURSE AS I HAVE ALREADY SAID I DON'T BELIEVE A VERY BIG % OF THIS MONEY WENT TO BRITISH FARMERS.

LETS HAVE THE TRUE FACTS.

Children
No Data