Was it just me - maybe it was - but was Peter Kendall in a bit of a bad mood today?

Have a look at the Farmers Guardian debate and judge for yourself.

Peter seemed very keen to have a go at me and the RSPB whatever I said. 

And how predictable to see NFU mouthpiece Guy Smith going back to criticising the FBI - there is precious little acceptance, by the NFU President  or by Guy Smith, that there is a problem with farmland birds.  The NFU's attitude to the environment may be summed up by Peter Kendall's phrase 'wrapping (farmers) in green tape'.  Remember please, NFU, that's the taxpayers' money you get and so there do have to be some rules attached to it.

But very good to see lots of good comments - many I guess from farmers who are working closely with the RSPB in all sorts of ways.

A love of the natural world demonstrates that a person is a cultured inhabitant of planet Earth.

Parents
  • Hi Nightjar – I trust you are well

• “killing badgers” and political appeal? – Treating Tuberculosis in wild and domestic mammals needs political appeal does it?  

• “It'll be a disaster for farming if you and NFU do manage to persuade the politicians to go ahead” – don’t you think it’s a disaster for farmers now?

• “And defining farming's relationship with RSPB around badgers is another real loser” – the RSPB has such a great depth of knowledge driving its policy regarding bTB that the Conservation Director has to get the latest book to find out what’s been going-on over the past 10 years and then sides with the author because he (too) is a trained scientist – still - it’s what most scientists do

• NFU Council? – I don’t think so – mind you I wouldn’t mind Kendall’s job – I’d certainly sort out the RSPB for starters!  Just like badgers and cattle are locked in a ‘deadly embrace’ – so too are the likes of the NFU and the RSPB – it will take some decent brainpower to address the issue – something the RSPB appears to lack – it deserves better!

• You have to ask yourself what would have happened without the RSPB – all the ladies would still be wearing exotic bird feathers in their hats I suppose

• 125 years £125 M annual turnover – still complaining – still failing – time to rethink the business model – time to re-appraise – time to be honest and recognise Truth – Time to move on!

Cheers All

"And, being fed by us, you used us so  as that ungentle gull, the cuckoo’s bird, useth the sparrow – did oppress our nest; . . .

William Shakespeare

Comment
  • Hi Nightjar – I trust you are well

• “killing badgers” and political appeal? – Treating Tuberculosis in wild and domestic mammals needs political appeal does it?  

• “It'll be a disaster for farming if you and NFU do manage to persuade the politicians to go ahead” – don’t you think it’s a disaster for farmers now?

• “And defining farming's relationship with RSPB around badgers is another real loser” – the RSPB has such a great depth of knowledge driving its policy regarding bTB that the Conservation Director has to get the latest book to find out what’s been going-on over the past 10 years and then sides with the author because he (too) is a trained scientist – still - it’s what most scientists do

• NFU Council? – I don’t think so – mind you I wouldn’t mind Kendall’s job – I’d certainly sort out the RSPB for starters!  Just like badgers and cattle are locked in a ‘deadly embrace’ – so too are the likes of the NFU and the RSPB – it will take some decent brainpower to address the issue – something the RSPB appears to lack – it deserves better!

• You have to ask yourself what would have happened without the RSPB – all the ladies would still be wearing exotic bird feathers in their hats I suppose

• 125 years £125 M annual turnover – still complaining – still failing – time to rethink the business model – time to re-appraise – time to be honest and recognise Truth – Time to move on!

Cheers All

"And, being fed by us, you used us so  as that ungentle gull, the cuckoo’s bird, useth the sparrow – did oppress our nest; . . .

William Shakespeare

Children
No Data