It's time to once again fill up your feeders and register for the Big Garden Birdwatch 2018.

Last year, over 76,000 people in the East, and close to half-a-million people nationally, joined in with the world’s largest garden wildlife survey, counting more than eight million birds.

This year we are asking you to do the same again. Over just one hour, on the weekend of the 27 and 28, or Monday 29 January, we need you to sit back, relax and enjoy recording the birds in your garden or local green space. Alternatively take part at work - it's the perfect way to spend quality time with colleagues and learn more about your local wildlife.

All the information that you accumulate gives us a comprehensive snapshot of how our garden birds are doing.

It’s more than birds though! We want to know about the other wildlife you’ve seen in your garden throughout the year, so look out for badgers, foxes, grey squirrels, red squirrels, muntjacs deer, roe deer, frogs and toads.

What do I get when I register?

Once you've registered you will receive a FREE Big Garden Birdwatch pack includes a bird identification chart, plus RSPB shop voucher and advice to help you attract wildlife to your garden.

How do I register?

Either text BIRD to 70030 or visit www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch  

Then what?

Pencil the Big Garden Birdwatch into your calendar, or pop a reminder on your phone for either the 27, 28, or 29  January ready to take part on the weekend itself. Over the next few weeks we'll be offering lots of handy hints and tips to encourage more birds into your garden, but if you want to get a head-start find out where to begin here. Oh and don't forget to look out for other forms of wildlife that visit over the next few months because we want to hear about them too.

Can schools take part?

Yes! Schools can take part in the Big School's Birdwatch. Sign up now and take part between the 2 January to the 23 February.

How do I register my school for the Big School's Birdwatch?

You can register your school to take part in the Big School's Birdwatch here.  Whilst signing up for the Big School's Birdwatch, why not sign your school up for the Wild Challenge at the same time? By completing the Big School's Birdwatch your school will already have completed one challenge and will be step closer to achieving your bronze award. Wild Challenge is a free award scheme that any school (or family) can take part in, that prompts children to connect with, and learn about, nature through a series of fun and engaging activities.