Blogger: Rachael Murray

As the New Year approaches, I can already feel that annual urge come upon me.  You know the one, the need to ‘take stock’, that growing list parked in a corner of your mind, or idly scribbled on a scrap of paper as you watch TV after another turkey based meal. The wish list of things you hope the forthcoming 12 months may have in store.

Often these aspiration inventories include ways to improve our health, realise long held dreams, look after others or to bring new inspiration, resources and contacts into our lives. 

As someone who has volunteered throughout my life, I can honestly say that one of the most ‘fix all’ solutions I have found for these early year yearnings is volunteering.

Where else can you experience the much needed physical and spiritual warmth generated by embracing a passion, getting active, meeting people and providing much needed support to others?  And for some, it is the seedling that, in time, blossoms into a rewarding new career.

At the RSPB there are currently over 17,000 passionate, friendly people volunteering with us, each in their own way giving nature a home. This adds up to over one million hours of their time, each year!

However, there’s plenty of room for more. In particular, we are currently looking for two people passionate about conservation and a career in the sector, who are able to dedicate a year to volunteering on our Eastern England reserves, Frampton Marsh and Titchwell Marsh.

Our Conservation Interns work with our reserve management teams 5 days a week, and are provided with a high quality training programme, ongoing mentoring and lots of practical experience.

Paul Stagg, Conservation Volunteering Intern at Old Hall Marshes said “In conservation, experience is invaluable, as I soon discovered when I started looking for a job in the field. This Internship provides an excellent head start and gave me the opportunity to get involved with all aspects of reserve management - from survey work to land management to people engagement. I've waded through reed beds, herded cattle, taken conservation to the public through events and guided walks and stood in quiet wonder on nocturnal heaths listening to the chirring of nightjars all around.

The result is an outstanding wealth and depth of experience - you'll soon learn where your strengths lie and what you enjoy (it’s not always what you expect!). Along the way I always had a supportive team around me, happy to share their knowledge and teach me what they knew. There were countless opportunities to meet people already working in the field, gain the benefit of their experience and learn a wealth of skills. The natural world urgently needs passionate, versatile individuals to take on the challenge of protecting it and this is an excellent opportunity to gain the skills and experience you need to do just that”

The successful candidates will spend a year from early March working alongside RSPB staff at Frampton and Titchwell (6 months at each). Free accommodation is provided.

For more information about the scheme and for an application pack please contact Annie Cane 01603 660066 / Annie.Cane@rspb.org.uk. The closing date for applications is 5pm Friday 10 January 2014. Interview date is Tuesday 21 January. 

In addition to residential volunteers, we have plenty of other volunteering roles to suit your lifestyle, interests and aspirations.

Ordinary people from all walks of life, with a variety of skills and with varying amount of time available, join with us every year to help give nature a home. Why don’t you make 2014 the year that you join the RSPB team?

Check out www.rspb.org.uk/volunteering for more information on all the volunteering opportunities available across the Eastern Region.