• The wrong kind of green

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Projects Officer

The colour green has, in recent years, been adopted as the hue of choice for endeavours including environmentally friendliness, recycling and energy efficiency.  It is a tone imbued with an inherent sense of ‘goodness’; to be ‘green’ is to be kind to the world. Isn’t it?

I’m going to have to make a confession.  Before I worked for the RSPB I…

• Giving Nature a Home Story: It's been a while

Blogger: Lex Gardner, RSPB Volunteer

A few months back, I jumped a bicycle for the first time in a decade. As a kid, riding bikes round my home village of Wicklewood was a favourite pastime but as I grew up, I grew out of my little bike and never bothered to buy a new one. However, I have rediscovered my love of cycling.

It was a rare, sunny day in April and I decided to be spontaneous and jump on my granddad’s old…

• Giving Nature a Home Story: Rocking it at the Ten Bells

Blogger: Lex Gardner, RSPB Volunteer

My name is Lex and I recently managed to raise just over a hundred pounds for Operation Turtle Dove.

When I first set out, I wanted to think of a different and possibly challenging way to raise some funds. I had a little experience working in music and gigs so, naturally, I put two and two together. I quickly found I might have bitten off more than I could chew because I was used…

• We get by with a little help from our friends

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Senior Community Fundraiser

Sometimes the feeling the trouble our natural world is in overwhelms me until I was to scream about it in the middle of the street. “Don’t you know that our starlings are disappearing?” “Where have our hedgehogs gone?” “Where has our society’s bond with nature gone?” Of course I’m far too sensible to shout these things, but my anxiety teeters on the edge, threatening…

• Inspiring our future conservationists

Blogger: Agnes Rothon

Can you remember what it was that inspired you to do the job that you do today or the job that you did throughout your working life? I can remember mine and I revisited it quite by accident the other day.

I was clearing out the spare room – the drawers at the bottom of the book case were beginning to sag under the weight of the cargo that they carried. It was time to get down to the serious business…

• Volunteering has got me closer to nature

Studying BSc Ecology at UEA and volunteering in the RSPB’s communications team are completely different, yet so similar – the bottom line being conservation, conservation, conservation. The past year, I have not only had the closest nature experiences of my life, but have learnt why conserving our wildlife really is so important.

Training to be an ecologist requires a large amount of field work – something…

• A new home for glow worms

Blogger - Agnes Rothon

The good news is that another creature, the glow worm, has decided to call RSPB Lakenheath Fen nature reserve its home. My first experience of glow worms came when reading Roald Dahl’s classic novel James and the Giant Peach as a boy - one of the creatures that James shares his epic journey in the peach with is a glow worm.  I learnt from the book that they are curious creatures – perhaps…