• Put up the Bunting, the Swallows are Here!

Blogger: Murray Brown, RSPB Volunteer Project Coordinator

Swallows have arrived in the park and are busy feeding over the lake with the occasional house martin.  'Our' swallows winter as far away as South Africa and yet all of a sudden here they are...amazing isn't it?  The males look particularly elegant as they sport much longer tail streamers.  Strangely no sand martins have been recorded as yet but we've…

• Thinking outside the (egg) box this Easter

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

We got desperate the other night. We were having one of those 'after dinner pudding cravings' which saw us rooting to the back of the cupboard where we had stashed the Easter eggs ready for the weekend. Paul's egg was in fact a giant white chocolate Easter bunny. The bunny now no longer has ears or a face. We felt bad, momentarily, for the demise of poor Peter but, hey, it…

• Think squirrels, think nuts.

Headlines, tweets and status updates. Forty-five characters to tell everyone what's on your mind. For someone that is a fan of a nice quote, like me, nothing can be more addictive. This particular quote, from my friend Tom's facebook page made me laugh, even though I think he may well have borrowed it from David Brent. It read, "What does a squirrel do in summer? It buries nuts. Why? So that in winter he's got something…

• L.O.V.E 101 Hours to go.

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

I am having a Moulin Rouge moment.

I blame Erica for coming in this morning and saying that she was serenaded by her fella Moulin Rouge style. I am a bit of a Baz Luhrmann fan and sucker for a good song medley.

Love is a many splendid thing. Love lifts us up where we belong. All you need is love. In the name of love. I will always love you. How wonderful life is now you…

• Oh so coot!

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

Last weekend I visited Titchwell Marsh reserve for the first time in about 18 months. I was hoping to spy some of the ‘star species’ that the North Norfolk coast has to offer, including marsh harrier, bittern and bearded tit. Before I started work at the RSPB I had never heard of, let alone seen any of these birds, but it’s strange how they so easily become…

• Feed the birds ...

It may have been an early start this morning, but watching the birds in my garden and sipping tea with Radio Norfolk’s Wally Webb isn’t exactly hard work and we had a lot of fun telling the Radio Norfolk listeners how they can help their feathered friends on Feed The Birds Day and into the winter months.

Wally and his BBC Radio Norfolk car parked up outside the house just before 8am and the birds were, well…

• Bearded wonders...

Bearded tit image courtesty of Kevin Simmonds, www.wildlifeimagery.co.uk
    Bearded tits don’t subscribe to the Ronseal approach of ‘does what it says on the tin’ because they are actually neither tits nor bearded. Research places these dainty golden brown birds as the only British member of a tropical family, the babblers. And as for the beard, well, you don’t need to be a facial hair expert to know that isn’t a beard…
  • wink, wink, wink, wink

Pink footed geese, Image from RSPB images 
    It’s a noise that cuts through the conversation in the RSPB’s Snettisham reserve office, as each of us recognising the sound, automatically leaves our desks and moves to the windows to gaze into the cloudy grey sky.
    For a moment we can’t see anything and then there they are, the first of the winter. High above us perhaps as many as 300 Pink Footed Geese in…
  • Something for the weekend....

Photo taken recently at the Ouse Washes reserve:

HOW MANY SWANS CAN YOU SEE? Begin the counting now and add your guesses as comments underneath... answer on Monday.

• Knowing your Robins

Give me a nightingale's voice on a balmy, scented evening or the trembling notes of a mistle thrush in full song. Give me the smoky romance of a curlew calling on a mist filled morning or the echoing sob of a buzzard skimming the watery sky above. I would revel in them all, but would miss the call of a robin the most.

To me the robin's is the sweetest of all songs…

• Nature where you least expect it

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

This morning I was ready a little earlier than usual so decided I would take a longer walk to work along the river Wensum via Cow Tower. This is one of my favourite walks in the city, you step off the busy pavement at Whitefriars Bridge and are soon surrounded by an ocean of calm along the small footpath.

Shafts of sunlight (if you're lucky!) shine through…

• The art of the countryside

Blogger: Laura White. PA to Public Affairs Manager
     I love impressionism, Claude Monets capturing of the light around him was so accurate that scientists are now using his paintings to work out the composition of gases in the atmosphere at the time he was painting. I wish I was blessed with a talent to paint, as the landscape of Norfolk where I live is so inspiring and lends itself to the ideals of impressionism; it invites…
  • You've got that soaring feeling

We often get interesting phone calls at work. Some of the conversations I over hear on the phone are wonderful. I suppose it’s the nature of what we do, but it’s also testament to just how much people are moved by the natural world around us. So moved, that they can’t wait to tell someone about it. One such phone call last week was no exception. 
    Image by Andy Thompson
    The scene was set. It…
  • The Science behind the Magic

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Media Assistant

It's that time of year when many great volunteers in the Eastern Region get their boots on and stomp around farmer's fields, absorbing the glorious sunrises whilst surveying the farmland birds.

The RSPB's Volunteer and Farmer Alliance Project (V&FA) has been running for twelve years in the region. The scheme aims to help reverse the decline of farmland bird populations…

• We need your stories

We're on the look out for stories and we're wondering whether anyone out there will be able to help us! We're looking for two things...

1)Wildlife mysteries - Has anyone reported something strange going on in their garden, any late night invaders that are ransacking through the vegetable patches or perhaps any reports of an animal that's moved in to the home but the owners have no idea what it is? …

• Diggers, ducklings and decadence

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Manager
    Finding inspiration can come from the most unusual places! It’s not often that i’m stumped for words, but sometimes, when you’re having ‘one of those days’ it’s not easy to write an exciting piece of prose or come up with a energetic way of describing something.
    In an attempt to get out of the office and find a new stream of inspiration…
  • Fantastic opportunity at Flatford Wildlife Garden

Blogger: Annie Sadler, Volunteering Development Officer

As the world starts to become green again, the birds are singing and insects buzzing, Flatford Wildlife Garden is taking shape.

The RSPB is bringing this old garden back to life. One third of an acre, on the River Stour near Flatford Mill in the Dedham Vale Area of Natural Beauty, landscapers are under-way, working hard on the state of the art design, all for…

• What a Pass!

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

Visitors to the RSPB's Titchwell Marsh Reserve are currently being treated to the annual spring spectacular sky-dancing routines performed by one of the UK rarest breeding birds. Marsh Harriers are a true conservation success story. Once extinct as a breeding bird in England due to habitat loss and persecution, they have made a spectacular comeback. Although they are still…

• Remembering Cuckoos

Photo Credit: Dunnock by John Bridges (rspb-images.com)

I don't know what it was that reminded me. Perhaps it was visiting Gunton park, my childhood home, or the eerie sight of a field of ewes stopping to stare at me mid-chew as I ambled past their field; they were absolutely resolute and motionless. Or it could have been catching a programme about the cuckoos at Wicken…

• Top Prize £1000

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer The Nature of Farming Award celebrates the fantastic work farmers are already doing for wildlife - with a top prize of £1,000 for the very best! Nature of Farming Award entry deadline is fast approaching on 30 April - the May Bank holiday weekend.

We are putting out a final call in the East for applications for this year's Nature of Farming Award. The competition aims…

• A11 decision is wildlife friendly

The RSPB today welcomes the decision by the Secretaries of State for Transport and Communities and Local Government to proceed with the dualling of the A11 between the Fiveways roundabout in Suffolk and the southern roundabout of the Thetford bypass in Norfolk.

The decision reflects a positive outcome for the region's internationally important wildlife in the Brecks and the…

• Wanderings abroad

Having just returned from a once in a lifetime holiday to New Zealand and Borneo, it’s fair to say, i’m a little bit glum. Holiday blues have set in and I wish I was back there, amongst the mountains of New Zealand, the fresh air, the breath-taking scenery and last but not least, the wildlife. My highlight of two weeks in New Zealand was, without hesitation or doubt, the albatross…
  • Do you know a Farmer?

The race is on to get entries in for this year's RSPB Telegraph Nature of Farming Award with applications being accepted until Saturday 30 April.

The award aims to find the UK's most wildlife friendly farmer who has put in the most work on their land to help threatened countryside species. It's run by the RSPB, supported by Butterfly Conservation and Plantlife, and sponsored…

• Conservation Solutions both LARGE and small

Here at the RSPB we work on wildlife conservation on all scales, from people's back gardens all the way up to the dizzying heights of our large landscape work. Following the launch of 'Stepping Up for Nature', our most ambitious campaign to date, here in the east we would like to announce a groundbreaking landscape scale conservation project in the Fens.

The new RSPB…

• Earth Hour Fiji Style

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

If you keep travelling East from our region and then down a bit you will find yourselves in the beautiful friendly isles of Fiji. This time last year I was working in Fiji running environmental campaigns across the Pacific. Yes, I know sounds a bit fancy but most of the time it was really hard graft. You're still not feeling sorry for me right? OK, there were some perks. At…