• Tales of the nightingale

As we’ve explored in our previous blogs , the nightingale has a rich and varied cultural history with man. In this week’s blog, we will explore the nightingale in creative literature and how tales have been told of this little brown bird....
  • Restoring ancient blanket bogs in North Wales

When we think of Wales.... we think of rain. But here in Gogledd Cymru, rain is exactly what we need to help restore and protect blanket bog and the species that live there. RSPBs Conservation Advisor, Rhian Pierce talks about this amazing habitat and...
  • Friends of the North Kent Marshes - protecting the nightingales

Today, we are delighted to have a guest blog written by the local environmental group closest to Lodge Hill, the Friends of the North Kent Marshes. Here we go again, another fight to save protected places from destruction in the heart of our community...
  • SSSIs and Lodge Hill - what's it all about?

Our #SaveLodgeHill campaign lead, Adrian Thomas, explains why the allocation of Lodge Hill for housing would have ramifications for our best wildlife sites across the country. The nightingale aspect of the #SaveLodgeHill campaign is easy to understand...
  • Nightingale in myth

As a young child I remember watching a 80s TV series called Faerie Tale Theatre featuring a very young Shelley Duvall. The episode which I still remember vividly to this day was that of the story of the Nightingale – an adaptation of a Hans Christian...
  • Swooping through the archives: a historical view of Lodge Hill

Adrian Thomas, #SaveLodgeHill campaign manager, shares what he has unearthed about Lodge Hill's fascinating history. Last November, I was fortunate to get behind the impregnable fences and guarded gates at Lodge Hill (with permission, you understand...
  • UPDATED: Through the eyes of a nightingale

BREAKING Medway Council has announced today that it is extending its consultation until 18 April. This is because it has yet to produce the key Sustainability Appraisal that should have informed their proposals. We await that missing documentation...
  • The nightingale and the poet

Thou wast not born for death, immortal Bird - the nightingale transcribed to spoken word. When dusk light fell and night occurred, and singing song is overheard. Many of the greats have alluded to the beauty of the nightingale and the emotional response...
  • Fixing our broken state of nature

The Housing White Paper published this week, ‘ Fixing our broken housing market’ , is apparently the first of its kind for more than twenty years, a time when I was working as a town planner in a local authority. Back in 1995, as the then...
  • Lodge Hill: A privileged view

Adrian Thomas, #SaveLodgeHill project manager, takes you into the unseen landscape of Lodge Hill We are asking you to help #SaveLodgeHill, but you’re probably wondering, "What does the place look like?" Well, in November, the authorities...
  • Nightingales - thank you for the music!

Adrian Thomas, #SaveLodgeHill project manager, reflects on the inspiration that nightingale song has brought to composers and musicians across the ages. Last year, I was fortunate enough to spend time alone with a nightingale in full song. It was dark...
  • Why nightingales matter

Over the next few weeks of the #SaveLodgeHill campaign, we'll be bringing you a series of blogs about Lodge Hill, about 'Sites of Special Scientific Interest', and why protected sites matter and shouldn't be considered targets for destruction...
  • The Forest of Bowland - nature's troubled home

I'm delighted to host a blog from Amanda Miller, the Conservation Manager for Northern England setting out why we’ve invested nearly 40 years, helping nature in Bowland. It's a place that we've featured in this blog before here's...
  • Will we hear the nightingales sing again? Please help save Lodge Hill and stop a damaging precedent for all of England's protected places.

On the Hoo Peninsula in Medway, Kent, sits one of the most important sites in the country for nightingales. A hidden gem tucked away - Lodge Hill near Chattenden. Medway Council wants to allocate it for housing which would help pave the way for one of...
  • Crayford Marshes - campaigning to save nature in Bexley

From time to time (too rarely if I'm honest) we've featured local campaigns aimed at saving important sites that are home to nature and vital green venue for the people who live round them, visit them and care for them. here campaigner, Donna...
  • Arriving at Tristan da Cunha!

The RSPB, in partnership with National Geographic Pristine Seas and the Tristan da Cunha Government, is currently undertaking a joint marine research expedition to Tristan da Cunha. This remote UK Overseas Territory in the South Atlantic is home to some...
  • Setting Sail for Tristan da Cunha

The RSPB, in partnership with National Geographic Pristine Seas and the Tristan da Cunha Government, is currently undertaking a joint marine research expedition to Tristan da Cunha. This remote UK Overseas Territory in the South Atlantic is home to some...
  • Resolved for Nature

It’s that time of the year again – shall I, shan’t I make a new year’s resolution. A year ago I resolved to plan my time better and here I am rushing out a blog seconds from the deadline. I’ll put that resolution down as...
  • Help keep trees rooted in the right place

Before asking for your help again, I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you for your hard work. It’s been a hectic year and it seems as though everything happened in such a short space of time; Marine Protected Zones, Climate Plans, saving...
  • A huge victory for nature conservation!

It's with a great deal of pleasure, no little pride and some relief that I share this blog with you. Written by Alistair Taylor our Senior Policy Officer who has been at the heart of our vital Defend Nature campaign to safeguard the laws that protect...
  • Saving nature in England - meeting the challenge

From the hedge-lined lanes of Devon to the peat-clad hill of the North, we’ve been giving nature a home across England. As we head towards the last few days of 2016 its time to look back at some of the success we’ve achieved with our partners...
  • Good news for the West Pennine Moors....

I’m delighted to bring you a ‘stop press’ blog – my colleague Tim Melling has written about the West Pennine Moors before – you can catch up here . Here he is again updating the story Today we have something to celebrate;...
  • Protecting the best - reviewing the UK's most important places for bird conservation

I'm delighted to host a guest blog from our own Kate Jennings (RSPB's Head of Site Conservation Policy) and Richard Hearn, Head of Monitoring at the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust Today, the UK’s Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC...
  • Lodge Hill - the campaign so far

The UK's most important site for nightingales is threatened by the proposed development of 5,000 houses. Adrian Thomas, our Save Lodge Hill Campaign Manager explains that if this happens, it will set a dangerous precedent for all of our protected...
  • On the Way Home: Departing Gough Island

Gough Island, part of the UK Overseas Territory of Tristan da Cunha located in the remote South Atlantic, is considered one of the most important seabird islands on the planet. A World Heritage Site, this small spec in the ocean is known to support millions...