Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Australian 'Black Back' Magpie

This is a very special friend - Mumma Maggie.  She is an excellent parent, but also insists on close personal contact with us.  She loves to be hand fed, and always comes down to see what we're doing if we're in the backyard.  I was trying out my new camera, and she was intrigued by the zoom lens, which must have looked like a beak to her - but it was moving in and out!!!

Our magpies are all the one species, but there are several 'tribes', depending on their colouring.  Magpies in our area are black across their backs, while in some other areas they have white backs, or more white on their wings.

• Wow!!!  Libby, Margobird and Tiger, I'll try to respond to you all at once!  

Yes, I do have conversations with her, and her youngsters are friendly.She would never let them take food from my hand though - she reserves that right for herself!!!  Breeding season approaches fast, and this pair of youngsters are being driven off by the parents now in preparation.

This one and her daughter also fancy a daily treat of a piece of Granita biscuit.  They visit my husband in his workshop and follow him around, getting in his way, until they get their treat.  Her grandmother used to teach her broods to take a lump of mince and roll it in bird seed - YUM!

This will be her third breeding season.  We've known her since her first visit as a fledgling about 4 1/2 years ago.  Her grandmother is the matriarch of ther local clan, and must be about 35 years old now.  After many concerted attempts, this bird and her mate drove the matriarch away from us, although grandma still has an adjacent territory.  Grandma was always an early breeder, and I'm pretty sure she already has eggs this season.  Long before dawn on the last few mornings, I've heard her singing away softly in the distance, something she has always done when she is brooding.  

Smiles, Jan.

• Now that Mumma Maggie is an internet worldwide celeb maybe some little extra treats.::))  Super picture Wattle >>

Everything in life is speaking in spite of its apparent silence.

• Wattle that is a lovely bird and a great picture. How long have you known her?

• What a beautiful bird and looking very intelligebt as Libby has said.  I know magipies get bad press but I have 2 adults and 2 young visiting my garden at the moment.  They like grated chesse which they dunk in the bird bath before eating.

Margobird

• I love her - she looks so intelligent (I know magpies are). I bet you have conversations with her. Hope her youngsters will be as friendly.

Libby  :o)