Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Apple Tree Robin

I thought I had started a thread for this little chap, but maybe not. He now comes to the kitchen door for his live wax worms. He has taken two lots today.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Very nice photos of ATR, I'm sure it is enjoying the waxworms.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazel. He still hand feeds a couple of times a day but doesn't land for long, even though he has been hand feeding since last Summer. Hopefully a female will soon join him and there will be some courtship feeding in due course.

• Good luck with attracting a female for ATR. I'm sure if he's stuffed full of waxworms he'll make a good figure! Is he the only territory holder in your garden, now?

Nige   Flickr

• He's the only one in the garden. There are other Robins in the area. but not within 200 yards or so. From what I can tell, the nearest territory is across the school playground. ATR has a territory that includes the trees in the local business park as well as all the gardens on my side of the road. There was a second Robin a few months ago, but it was chased away. No sign of any others. Unfortunately, many people in the area seem to be selling to developers and their houses are then converted into flats and the gardens levelled to create patios and extensions. Hedges in front gardens are sacrificed to accommodate multiple cars. My garden is something of an oasis and is therefore rather busy for a nesting spot. Robins are resourceful, so hopefully a suitable nesting spot is within reach of my garden. In the meantime, ATR continues to patrol his territory, singing loudly from each tree. Hopefully he will attract a female before long.

• Lovely photos Paul. I do like how robins pose, and always perfect posers, in any light....

• We had a light dusting of snow here in Surrey and ATR posed for some photos before one of his many wax worm snacks.

• Lovely additional photos Paul and perfect pose on snowy twig; love the one where's he's facing front and giving you the hard stare - I can read his thought "Hey Mr, put the camera down and bring me the mealies" lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Lovely to meet ATR, he is a beauty, I do hope he gets a mate and that they nest in your garden.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• The rich mid-afternoon sunlight provided ideal lighting for a little photo shoot with ATR as he posed on the trellis. The only downside being some severe shadows.

• Just beautiful :) lovely photos.

Regards, Hazel