Here it comes, the BIG one, Big Garden Birdwatch weekend - I hope you're all ready to take part.

And don't hold back if you think there aren't many birds coming into your garden this year - that is exactly the kind of information we want.

For me, one bird I think I'm guaranteed this year is a Dunnock. In past years, it has been far from certain whether one will appear during the hour count, but I'm confident this year because my Dunnock has learnt a new skill. 'He's' learnt to balance on the seed feeder!

Now this is a species for whom even a trip to a bird table is normally pushing their ingenuity - they're hard-wired to feed on the ground.

But I have pictures to prove it - here is my performing Dunnock!

As you can see, there's a problem! This trick is all still a bit new to him, and so far he has only learnt to go on the top perch on the rear side of the feeder!

He does come on the bird table too, but he's so nervous I had to grab this shot through the closed window:

But you can still see the fine, insect-eating bill, lead grey neck sides, and streaky crown that separate him from a female House Sparrow. Check out more RSPB Dunnock information here.

I hope you have plenty of your own stories to tell this weekend - happy counting!

If you want to drop by my RSPB wildlife gardening blog, it is updated every Friday, and I'd love to see you there - www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/hfw

• Just done the survey, 8-9am smorning. Should have done it yesterday, (more birds yesterday). Usual Pigeons eating all the nuts, Magpie grabbing broken fatball. The pair of Bullfinches did not turn up, neither did the Grey Wagtail, but the Wren, and Pied Wagtail put in their usual appearance. Our Blackbirds are the tamest, even standing on the patio door cill, looking in as if to say, "where are my raisins". Good birding everyone, take care, Stich.

Take care all, Stich.

My gallery Here  Flickr Here    

• It surprised me when you said your Dunnock is nervous, we have a few regulars who will move only a matter of feet when I refill the feeders. Next to the Robins, they are the tamest visitors.

I shall be taking part in the Big Garden Birdwatch.

Build it and they will come.

• Sadly, I won't be doing it again this year, Adrian :(

Last year, after a cat had been used in the advertising for the survey, I complained to the RSPB, as I thought it was in very bad taste for a society dedicated to the Protection of birds to do this. However, I find the same type of advert on various websites again this year- a photo of cat 'saying 'I've seen 3 wrens, they're my favourite'. (Don't know about tv as I've not seen much lately). Many cat owners will not see my point, but I'm sure that if a sparrowhawk ( totally natural predator and important in the food chain) was substituted for the cat - there would be uproar! No accounting for humans!