This little beauty turned up in my garden moth trap this week, which curiously has the name of a plant. It is a Ranunculus, which those of you into your plant Latin names will know it is the  genus of buttercups

In fact, the moth experts out there will quickly tell me off, because it is in fact a Feathered Ranunculus. Now I can work out where the 'feathered' bit comes from - just look at those antennae on this male, which have feathering all the way along them so that they can pick up the weak scent of the females on the nighttime breeze.

But quite why this is like a buttercup - or indeed like the origin of the word Ranunculus, which comes from the Latin for tadpole - I don't know, Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

What I do know is that this rather coastal moth likes supping on the juices of overripe blackberries and Ivy blossom during its autumn flight period, while its caterpillars will happily munch on a wide variety of plants, but especially Thrift and Biting Stonecrop. It is all these things that add up into a species' Home Needs, as I like to call them, the things us wildlife gardeners should provide if we are to give a species the full suite of things it needs to survive.

And of course the first vital step is knowing that a particular creature is in your area. Now that I know that Feathered Ranunculi live somewhere nearby me, perhaps planting a bit of Biting Stonecrop might be a fun thing to try.

If you want to drop by my RSPB wildlife gardening blog, it is updated every Friday, and I'd love to see you there - www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/hfw

• Sorry, I can offer no further information on why it is called Ranunculus, but a very interesting read, I enjoyed it. The diminutive of rāna, is frog, and the moth does have similar colouring to a common frog? A very weak link I know.

I have been meaning to make a moth trap for several years now and am ashamed to admit I have never got round to it. When is the best time of year to do this?

Kind regards Jane.