I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Fieldfare. Seen well, they are a patchwork of colours and textures, with russety back, grey rump and head, white belly, and sharp-chevroned chest on a bed of soft orange. This snowy spell I've had the opportunity to get to know them that bit better!

I normally never see them where I live in Sussex, but this last week, arriving on the coat-tails of the Redwings, I started to hear them over the house, their 'chack-ack' call redolent of winter walks in the fields where I grew up in the Midlands. Indeed, Fieldfare means 'traveller of the fields' from the old Anglo-Saxon.

Then they began to get more desperate, or bold, or both, coming down into my trees (left) and then to cotoneaster berries that the local Blackbirds clearly felt were not suitable for consumption. But they made no attempt to come down for any of the fat or seed I put out.

I went for the 'cut up apple on the snow' option and, ta da!, down they came (right, on my frozen pond). At one time there were 15 in the garden, and a riot ensued as one particularly bolshie Fieldfare tried to lay claim to three pieces of apple at one time, attempting to shoo off Blackbirds, Song Thrushes and Redwings, cocking and fanning his black tail like a pumped up miniature Capercaillie.

Needless to say, he couldn't be in three places at once, and many a shy bird managed to nick a piece of apple while he wasn't watching, while he barely managed to take a break from his posturing to eat.

All in all, this past week has been quite a thrill, seeing all these unusual visitors finding such satisfaction in my garden. But of course what it really goes to show is how in weather like this, life is oh so tough for birds, and us garden-owners can actaully make a difference.

Are you taking advantage of the RSPB’s free wildlife gardening advice? Check out RSPB Homes for Wildlife here.

If you want to drop by my RSPB wildlife gardening blog, it is updated every Friday, and I'd love to see you there - www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/hfw

• We had a load of redwings eating our cotoneaster and pyracantha berries three weeks ago, but only a few fieldfares and since then no foreign visitors until four days ago, when we have had a lonely fieldfare in the garden.  I threw it some apples and it ate them hungrily.  Each day since he's been there, but has now got very territorial and is making life hell for the blackbirds by chasing off every blackbird it sees.  I resolved the problem by throwing some apples up the end of the garden, leaving the fieldfare to feast nearer the house.

Rosyden

• I Live near Mold in North Wales about 50 metres from fields and a small wood. The fields have wild hedges so plenty of berries. We have redwings, fieldfares, goldfinches, and for the past five years nesting green woodpeckers.

Unfortunately the local authority have decided against ever ones wishes to build on these fields so IT WILL BE GOODBYE TO MOST OF OUR BIRDS. Including this year six Bullfinches.

Here's to birds

• Michael Robinson

Our back garden is not too far from open fields which surround Lutterworth Leicestershire.However it was

still a pleasant surprise  to see a fieldfare  It certainly made its presence Felt. He was unable though to muscle out a pairof robins

• Mary Johnston

Most of the comments on Fieldfares seem to be from rural areas, however I live in the West end of Glasgow - albeit in a part of the city well endowed with parks and gardens. A large flock of Fieldfares arrived about the 28th December - about forty - with some attendant redwings. As others have said, they invaded the cotoneaster trees, which are generally ignored by the local blackbirds, but joined in some energetic rows over the apples I put out! They disappeared about January 6th leaving quite a mess and no remaining berries! I've had redwings in the city before, and waxwings on at least 2 occasions, but for fieldfares, this is a first!

• Here in St. Just West Cornwall we  had a huge flock of redwings in our gardens in the middle of January, there were between fifty and sixty of them and they were here for two weeks then one day they had gone except for one red wing which still comes in most days for a feed. I wonder if he is lost or just a loner?

I did Big garden watch yesterday and had the fewest number of birds for the winter. This morning the garden was full of them!!