Midland’s Community Fundraiser, Dana Rock is looking for 101 interesting things to do with a bucket...now there’s an invitation! Add Love Nature Week to your Bucket List...and help the RSPB save nature.

Ride a camel? Cycle across America? Have a species named after you?

Like many folk, I have a ‘bucket list’ of 101 things to do before I die. This is not an off-the-shelf coffee table tome but a homemade list of life-fulfilling happinesses.  I put some really easy stuff on my list (like riding a camel, very easy - once you’ve sourced the camel). And, thanks to someone’s great foresight, my favourite species was already named after me before I was born (Rockhopper). Thus far I have been whizzing through the list at such a rate that I am set to finish before I turn 50. So to pre-empt an early demise I thought it best to write another Bucket List… but with a twist…

Above my office desk I have a shelf stacked with Big Yellow Buckets. Most of the time they just sit there, gathering dust and spiders, but every so often they get taken down and filled with shiny pounds and pennies. Their next outing will be Love Nature Week – 9 days of fundraising fun from 26 May until 3 June 2012. Last year we raised an impressive £35,000. Yesterday the website went live and even before lunchtime I had 5 lovely people get in touch. So those lovely buckets will be getting out soon. Collecting oodles of dosh for the UK’s largest (and, dare I say, best) nature conservation charity is one thing you can do with a bucket. But what else could they do in life?

Give me a chisel to make a small eye-slit and you could have a hi-vis jousting helmet. Perfect for the Health & Safety conscious knight…

The humble bucket has far more to offer than ‘merely’ collecting money and dust. Over the next few months I’ll be writing a list of 101 Things to Do with a Bucket and I want your suggestions…

What would you do with a bucket? I’d love to hear your suggestions. Send me your ideas by posting a comment or tweet me @RSPBMidlands. The best ideas will get drawn and posted.

There is only one caveat: you cannot use your bucket for anything sensible.

If you’d like to borrow one of our bright yellow RSPB buckets to help save nature in your local patch then go to www.rspb.org.uk/bucketcollections to find out how you can get involved.

Dana Rock

Community Fundraiser

Midlands Region

Want to Volunteer? Ask me!