Birds being shot in Malta

Hi All,

This was posted in "Wildlife Protection" Is it something this group could get involved in?

"Spoonbill ringed in Hungary shot dead in Malta"

"Yesterday afternoon, a spoonbill ringed as a chick in Hungary, was shot dead by poachers driving past the Salini Bird Reserve, and its body collected by a car following behind.

The shooting broke a number of national and EU laws: spoonbills are protected birds under national and EU law, it is currently closed season, no hunting may take place within Bird Sanctuaries, and no shooting may take place within 50 metres of a main road.

The road running alongside the site of the shooting is very busy, and the area is overlooked by a number of blocks of flats. BirdLife are appealing for witnesses to help bring the poachers to justice.

http://www.birdlifemalta.org/view.aspx?id=325

Events like this increase during migration season. Join BirdLife Malta's Raptor Camp this autumn - 14th September - 2nd October to help us monitor and deter these illegal incidents.

http://www.birdlifemalta.org/Content/conservation/raptorcamp2011/1109/"

Since a lot of our migratory birds pass through Malta, what happens there is, I think, our business too,

Can you all look at the thread and have a think about perhaps emailing the relevant guys in the Maltese Government?

Cheers

Jenni

God gave us two ears and one mouth for a very good reason!

• Hi Jenni

This is dreadful. It seems to be an ingrained behaviour in Malta.

I wrote some letters as part of an RSPB campaign back in 2007 to my MEP, who raised the subject of illegal shooting in Malta/Cyrus with the EU commissioner. The commissioner did reply at the time, but I notice he is no longer in that role.

I am willing to write something, but would like to know who the best person would be to target. Does anyone have any suggestions? I looked at the BirdLife site but couldn't find any obvious leads.

Spoonbill

• Hi Spoonbill - I'm at the same stage as you - trying to find the right people to write to. I've got a busy week on but will sort something out. Meanwhile if anyone has Ideas please share!

There is of course the RSPB campaign to stop illegal killing in Malta -

http://www.rspb.org.uk/supporting/campaigns/illegalkilling/migration.asp

I am wondering if there are companies with interests in Malta that might help. Also I believe some branch of the armed forces did get involved a few years back.

A month to six weeks ago several Stork and a Glossy Ibis were killed by "hunters" ie louts with rifles.

Jenni

• Hi Jenni

Have tweeted BirdLife Malta for their suggestions. Will let you know when I get a response.

On a positive note though, they have prosecuted some Stork hunters today!

www.birdlifemalta.org/view.aspx

Spoonbill

• Hi Jenni

I had a tweet back from BirdLife Malta!

They said it's best to write to your Member of European Parliament and that any noise we can make would be great.

I have a sympathetic MEP (a Green) so will try writing to him first.

Regards

Spoonbill

• Hi Spoonbill,

Thanks for that. Yes I will try our local MEP but I have also found some details for Maltese MEPs and I am considering a letter to them. Another one is the MP for Ellesmere Port and Neston, Andrew Miller. I believe he lists Malta as one of his special interests.

I am cream crackered tonight so will start on letters in the morning!!

Cheers

Jenni