Red Tape Challenge

I know you are all seasoned campaigners, but has everyone contacted Vince Cable re this yet?

It is simple to do as there is a pre-prepared e-mail you can base it on. Tell your friends as well!

http://campaigning.rspb.org.uk/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=13&ea.campaign.id=10410

Thanks

S

• Great way to kick things off, thanks Spoonbill!

Emily

• Hi Spoonbill

We had other threads about this a while ago.

I did a search and I think THIS was the latest

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Thanks Woodpecker - I am new round here & haven't had much chance to explore everywhere yet!

• Hi everyone :-)

I'm definately going to support the Red tape challenge.  I just need to know if my additions to the main template are good enough.

"Please consider the amazing wildlife we have in all parts of the UK.  It is utter foolishness to consider laws that protect the natural environment as "red tape".  I still find it quite shocking that the Starlings and House Sparrows that visit my garden in west central Scotland, are on the UK Red List of bird speices that are in serious danger.  Sadly though, in many parts of Britain, these two once abundant speices are abscent or very rare.

Even in parts of Britain where the above mentioned birds are still in decent numbers, there has been a decline.  That's only two speices, and to mention all bird, mammal, fish, reptile, insect, and plant speices that are in desperate need of protection, would be a very long list.  That's of course not forgetting the habitats and sub-habitats they live.

Thank you for your time with regards to this highly important matter, Dr Cable.  You have a wonderful oppurtunity to be a champion for the wildlife and by association the people of the UK."

All feedback is welcome :-)

Paul.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Hi Heron77

I think your response was great - hopefully you have sent it by now! It's good to customise the text and make them relevant/personal to you - it makes for a much better read and a more passionate plea.

I do find the standard e-mail replies from the RSPB a bit dry at times.

Have you seen the latest CAP reform one to the EU president? It was extremely formal - I changed mine a fair bit.

S

• Hi Spoonbill,

This is just the sort of feedback I was hoping we'd get on this forum so thank you for taking the time to post. Would you be prepared to share what you sent for the CAP reform e-action?

It's a tough job trying to balance policy with emotive cries for help and I do like that people customise the text to make their response more personal.

I can't promise an immediate transformation but if we can go some way to making our standard replies more engaging, all the better and your changes might help us on our way with this.

Thanks,

Emily

(emily.sanders@rspb.org.uk if you'd prefer to send it to me directly)

• Hi Emily

Here it is. It wasn't one of my better efforts as I was rushing to get it done last Sunday eve at the same time as writing the link for our website. I am more proud of my 'Peat-free plea' or my Lydd letter. I can dig those out as well if you are interested.

S

President of the European Commission

José Manuel Barroso

Dear President Barroso

Don't let farms become sterile places like huge factories for food. Farmers should be encouraged

to farm alongside nature, giving home to birds, flowers and insects.

I am writing to urge you to protect and expand Pillar 2 funding to enable Commissioner Cioloş to

place environmental protection and enhancement at the core of his forthcoming proposals for CAP

reform.

Earlier this year, the Agriculture, Environment and Climate Change Commissioners stated that

“the future CAP should be a tool to help Member States to reach environmental and climate

change targets, notably in relation to biodiversity, soil and water”.

As a European taxpayer, I want to see a return on my investment in the CAP. The policy must play

a much stronger role in supporting and driving more sustainable and wildlife-friendly farming

across Europe. If Pillar 2 of the CAP is cut this would become all but impossible, and would run

counter to the last 20 years of reforms. Please don't let this happen.

Using Pillar 2 funds, many farmers are demonstrating that productive farm businesses can be

managed alongside a healthy natural environment, but there are still huge challenges to be

addressed. The CAP must help tackle problems such as soil loss and degradation, unsustainable

water use, water pollution and climate change. The CAP must also do significantly more to help

halt and reverse the long term declines in much of our wildlife, most notably our farmland birds.

Agri-environment schemes are a brilliant way of incentivising and rewarding farmers who manage

their land with wildlife and the wider environment in mind, and they must play a central role in the

next CAP.

If the CAP doesn’t make the necessary changes now we are likely miss the 2020 target to halt and

reverse the loss of biodiversity – like we did in 2010. The charity I support, the RSPB is trying to

ensure that governments meet these biodiversity targets to preserve nature for future generations.

I hope you will find a way to protect or even expand Pillar 2 funding so that the European Union

leads the way in meeting the needs of the natural environment, wildlife-friendly farmers and

taxpayers.

Best regards

• This is great, thank you. Yes, please do send the peat-free plea too if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks again,

E.

• Hi Emily 

Here is the Peat one.

S

Dear Mr Raab (my MP - not very responsive!)

Would you grow new plants for your garden using an endangered habitat?

I’ll make this short as I know you are a busy man!

Gardeners in the UK are using peat at an astonishing rate of 3 billion litres of per year. This is extracted from lowland peat bogs – an irreplaceable habitat for rare animals and plants e.g. snipe, curlew, large heath butterflies, dragonflies, sundews and butterworts.

This needn’t be the case as there are effective peat-free alternatives. A Which report last year proved this to be true. Also many local authorities and the National Trust have successfully gone peat free.

For this reason, I think that peat use in compost should be phased out completely. As voluntary attempts to do this have failed, introducing a levy on peat-based compost seems like a good idea. It will make the purchase less attractive and would steer people towards buying peat-free alternatives.

I would be grateful you could contact the Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Justine Greening, to call for a levy on peat-based composts (to be introduced in the forthcoming budget).

Please could you also send a copy of your letter to Richard Benyon, Parliamentary Under-Secretary at the Department for Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs.

P.S. If you want another reason for doing this, extraction of peat for UK horticultural use causes 630,000 tonnes of CO2, the equivalent to annual emissions from all motorcycles and mopeds on UK roads, to be released into the atmosphere!

Yours sincerely