Male yellowhammer singing "Rescue me..."One out every five UK birds are red listed! That rate is far higher than the known number of threatened MP's!

52 different bird species, including common London birds like house sparrows, starlings, the cuckoo, herring gull, lapwing and yellowhammer are now red listed! The newly updated Birds of Conservation Concern contains good news too. It shows that where our research found the source of some birds declines, we have been able to restore numbers. Here i'm talking about birds like the stone curlew and woodlark. London's growing population of peregrine falcons has helped remove the UK peregrine population from the list of birds of concern. The species is now doing well on the green-list but continues to be persecuted in some parts of the UK.

Swifts are also causing us some concern. Because they live most of their lives on the wing they're difficult to study, but we know numbers are down almost a quarter and they've gone on the amber list. You can help us monitor them by taking part in our new summer survey, Make your Nature Count, starting Monday 8 June..

If you doubt the number or diversity of birds in London, take a look at the photo's submitted to our Mind the Bird competition, run in partnership with Transprt for London. The deadline for entries has closed, but you can still view the images.

You can help all of the 52 red listed birds, and the 126 on the amber list, by supporting the RSPB. You see, we don't have enough money nor resources to help them all.

Supporting our conservation work financially is a tremendous help. But there are other ways you can help. Volunteering your time or acting differently at home or work to reduce your carbon footprint would be fantastic.

Gardening for wildlife is an obvious way forward. When I'm out at events people often say, "what can I as an individual do about climate change?" How about lobbying MP's and MEP's? As a volunteer letter writer with the RSPB we can help you with well researched facts and figures and clear policy ideas. All politicians need is a tick in a box to sustain them. Democracy is a great system, if you can voice your concerns. Help us speak up for wildlife.