I am pleased to introduce you to Carol Knott, from Deal in Kent.  We love Carol.  She is one of our much appreciated super duper Campaign Champions - volunteers who are really stepping up for nature by encouraging those around them to support our vital campaigns to help save nature.     

Carol has been working hard to change negative perceptions of gulls, as some people in coastal towns and cities think gulls are so abundant they are a dreadful nuisance.  It is true that there are now more gulls in urban areas, partly attracted by the easy access to food in rubbish dumps and bins.  But Carol has been helping those around her to realise that for many of our seabirds, overall numbers are declining, and they urgently need our help.  Herring gulls, kittiwakes, puffins, guillemots and other seabirds around Britain now face serious survival threats.  They are being driven away from their coastal homes as their natural food supplies are dwindling due to factors such as climate change and over fishing. 

So why should people care, if they don't like gulls?  I couldn't put it better than Champ Carol, who says:

“I can understand why some people find gulls annoying, but they belong by the sea - they’re an integral part of that environment. If they’re not surviving, that also sends a warning about the wider marine environment, which also supports fish, dolphins, coral, and of course the vast number of people around the world who depend on seafood.”

So Carol gets about and about, encouraging everyone she can to sign our pledge and support our marine campaign, where we are calling for the government to put a network of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in the right places, with the right management. These MPAs will provide safe places for marine life to flourish and act as a reservoir to replenish the rest of our seas.  The government's current proposals simply aren't enough to give our seas the protection - and the future - that we all need.

So we need as many of you as possible to step up and sign the pledge now, as we’re currently preparing to take all the pledges direct to government to show them how much the British public care about our sealife. 

If you care about the sea, support our marine campaign today - and get your friends and family to do it too!

Parents Comment Children
No Data