A Perfect Day

I found this video on Youtube, while following the travels of ospreys, and thought it deserved wider exposure. These are the birds of the Ria de Aveiro, an estuary on the central west coast of Portugal.

You can just enjoy the film; I think the editing of the images, the bird calls and the Lou Reed track is particularly skilful.

Or, try to guess the species. I’ve jotted down many of them, but am having to get the book out for some of the waders, which I am never sure about. 

Sue

• Many, many thanks for finding & posting an absolute gem of a vid SC!  Something special for each of us encapsulated in this very clever compilation & just loved the end credits sequence!

A good watch for de-stressing if ever I saw one ... simply fabulous!!!

Edit:  Been researching Jorge Bacelar (Portuguese, I believe) & found FB page containing many interesting black & white photo studies!

• That's a beautiful video, Sue. I've been to the south of Portugal but not to that area. The birds there look just as wonderful.

I counted 22 species including what I think is one of the most beautiful raptors. I doubt whether I've got them all correct though.

There was one falcon which I thought I knew what it was but it's not normally seen that far west so not sure.

I wonder what time of year it was shot because a lot of the birds seem to be in winter plumage

• I'm bumping this up because it deserves to be seen as Sue has taken the trouble to find it.

She also posted it on one of the LG threads but nobody commented. Why does that not surprise me - oh yes there were no Ospreys.

• Thanks for posting this up Sue and thanks Tony for bumping it up otherwise I may have missed it.   Such a beautiful video, superbly mastered and put together, a real delight to see.

As pure coincidence would have it I had been playing one of my iTunes libraries in the background on my desktop computer whilst catching up with some email correspondence and then before I came on to the Forum I quit ITunes and turned the music off ...........when this video started playing the music I began searching all my new computer buttons wondering why the tune Perfect Day I had been playing just moments earlier from my library hadn't turned off !!!    LOL     I still can't believe the coincidence - that is sooooo Spooky   !    thought I was going bonkers  rofl.      No comments please ;)  !!!  

This video is so lovely, I'm watching it for the third time  as each time I see something I've missed   .......  

• Thanks for the comments folks - I was so pleased that other people "got" this video.

These were my IDs of the birds, some more confident than others - I don't know if Teejay thought the same, but I also made it 22 different species:  

First Play

Greater Flamingo, Grey Heron, Wren, Bar-tailed Godwit, Black-winged Stilt, Purple Heron, Common Sandpiper, Cormorant, Female or juvenile Merlin, Little Egret and crab, Starling

Replay from 3.45

Red Kite, Black Kite, Bar-tailed Godwit & Dunlin, Robin, White Stork, White Wagtail

Female ducks – don’t seem to be mallard but not sure what they are

Black-winged Kite, Stonechat, Juvenile Ringed Plover, Sanderling, assorted Plovers, Dunlin & Little Egret.  Greater Flamingo encore

• Shall watch again now SC, armed with your impressive list! Thanks

• I've watched it again and it really is a beautiful video. Although the bird calls were obviously not recorded at the time he's done a good job of dubbing them on the video.

Sue, I pretty much agreed with your ID's except:-

1. I thought your Bar-tailed Godwits were Greenshank but could easily be wrong
    2. I didn't see a Red Kite only a Black Kite
    3. I think the unidentified ducks were female Teal but not certain
    4. I thought your juv Little Ringed Plover was a juv Ringed Plover but may be wrong

I've only seen Black-winged Kites two or three times but they are stunning birds especially when they hover.

• Teejay

Re your comments

1. Yes having consulted another guide, I can see why Greenshank is a possibility. It does seem to lack the eyestripe which a b-t godwit is meant to have.

2. The bird circling the building is only seen in silhouette, but seems at one point to have more of a forked tail than a black kite would. I could be wrong though.

3. Teal I can believe

4. We both said juvenile Ringed Plover.

I have only seen a Black-Winged Kite once, hovering over orchards in Extremadura - beautiful. I am off to the Isle of Wight on a birdwatching break in a few days, so this has been good practice. I am really hoping to get to grips with wader IDs.    

• Unknown said:
    We both said juvenile Ringed Plover.

So you did. Sorry, I misread it. Enjoy your trip to the IOW

• Have a good time SC & lots of pics for us to ponder over!! Lol