Blue Tits versus woodpeckers

As I have posted here ealier, I have/had a nestbox which contained 8 eggs then 8 chicks

Sadly I have to report that it is now empty mainly due to repeated attacks by what we are fairly certain, was a woodpecker

I intend to buy an RSPB hole plate for next year and in an attempt to forestall any attacks from the side I have seen it recomended that I cover the box in 1/4" wire mesh

any thought and advice on this issue would be very much appreciated as tyring to explain to grandchildren about what has happened is very difficult and distressing - I would prefer not to have to do it next year

details of how we got on, up to a day or so before the attacks, can be seen at www.stevesbirdbox.moonfruit.com

• I'm afraid this is a perennial problem, Steve. As soon as the Woodpecker hears the chicks it will attempt to break into the box. The issue seems to be that many of the boxes you get these days,  particularly those supplied with a camera pre-installed, are made from western red cedar. This fine is from weather resistance aspect but as you know it's a very soft wood so easy for the woodpecker to penetrate.

I had the same issue last year and solved it temporarily by putting a couple of old hanging basket s over it - not very elegant but it proved effective. All the Great Tits survived and fledged.

I know Hazy, another forum member, has used the wire mesh on the outside. If she sees this post she will no doubt tell you how successful it's been.

I thing the message is that with these very soft boxes you've got to protect them somehow. I've got a couple of boxes that I made myself out of marine ply and it's too hard for the woodpeckers to penetrate.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• My ears were burning TJ   !!   LOL

Hi Steve,   I have used the metal hole plate covers and the the wire mesh on all the wooden nest boxes and the boxes have remained in tact this year, unlike last year when the G.S.Woodpecker wrecked three boxes and scared two other pairs of nesting birds away. 

The mesh has certanly worked to keep the box untouched, although only one box has been occupied but currently has nestlings in it;  The Woodpecker has been to that box but cannot drill into it, however, he/she can stick their beak through the entrance hole and try reach the nestlings as they grow so nothing is guaranteed for their safety.    TJ's method would work the best so the predators can't get close to the hole.   

I read this study by Lancaster University who trialled this method using the mesh with succesful results   CLICK HERE  to download the PDF file.     I used smaller mesh than they did,  about 6mm or quarter inch.

Here is the occupied nesting box;   you don't have to cover the front with mesh but do add a metal hole cover;    hubby used a heavy duty stapler to fix the mesh onto the boxes.

Good luck with your nest boxes.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazel and TeeJay for the quick response - these replies seem to be in line with what I have found from trawling the web

I have ordered a couple of 25mm plates for the holes and some 6mm mesh

I like the temporary idea of the hanging basket :-) nice lateral thinking, but I dont think the wife would think they would look right on the side of the house so will go with the mesh LOL

One question though, there seem to be the suggestion you dont need to put mesh on the front of the box, below the hole, any reason why not ? surely this would be the same wood and just as susceptible to attack.

• Hi Steve,  I was also surprised when I read that you don't cover the front of the box but have to agree that it has worked as the first place the Woodpecker will try is around the entrance hole so may they are put off and look at the other sides of the box.     As TJ says, some of the boxes you buy at the garden centre or pet shops are made of thin wood, poor quality but this particular box we bought seemed a little stronger and it has stood the test.   As only one box has been occupied I don't know how the other cheaper made boxes would stand up to the same test although the meshing does seem to work.   Time will tell !     Good luck with your boxes.

Regards, Hazel 

• sorry if this is a repeat but ....

both boxes now reinforced

used 6x6mm lightweight mesh and RSPB 25mm door plate

• Looks like you made a grand job of protecting those boxes Steve,  well done and good luck with the Blue Tits, hopefully it's not to late for them to start nesting.    Our active box is seeing the parents feeding overtime so maybe they are due to fledge shortly, I sure hope so, haven't seen any babies in the garden yet and getting impatient to see some :)  lol

Regards, Hazel