Ending the year on a high at Felixstowe Ferry!

Well, I hadn't even got as far as the boundary of the hamlet when I spotted my first bird - but on seeing it I parked the car as quickly as I could and pointed the camera in the right direction.  Incredibly, the object of my interest didn't scarper:

Yeah!  I watched it hover for a short while before it decided to take a break on a nearby chimney:

It then headed to pose in a different spot:

After a short while it headed off.  I was very happy to let it!  I then headed to the waterfront where some of the usual suspects were lurking:

This herring gull has clearly been enjoying an end-of-year mud wrestle.

'Don't look at me.  I didn't get him into that state'.

This gull is clearly approaching the New Year with the appropriate seriousness.  There's always one.

Are these redshanks following the curlew to pick up some foraging tips?

Another bird in need of a bath - a little egret, this time!

Eating is clearly the priority, though.

The black-headed gulls have a paddling party as the tide goes out.

I thought this gull looked lovely in the afternoon light, with its feathers blowing gently.

A typically subtle picture of togetherness.

A very happy new year to you all from the beautiful East Anglian coast!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Great report & photos Clare-it's always exciting to see a Kestrel- they seem oblivious to humans when they have something in their sights don't they.

The mucky H Gull looks tough,but nice you've captured their softer sides too.

There have been tens of thousands of Sardines washed up on Marazion beach recently.I went down to take some photos and I've never seen anything like it in my life-thousands of Gulls as far as the eye could see and the sky full too,I'm sure you would have been in your element,although sad for the fish. I've not processed the photos yet but will try to put them up over the new year!

Jayne

See my Flickr photos here.

• Unknown said:
    There have been tens of thousands of Sardines washed up on Marazion beach recently.I went down to take some photos and I've never seen anything like it in my life-thousands of Gulls as far as the eye could see and the sky full too,I'm sure you would have been in your element,although sad for the fish.

Wow.  Wish I'd seen that - though you're correct in saying it's sad for the fish.  I wonder how they all came to be there?

Unknown said:
    I've not processed the photos yet but will try to put them up over the new year!

Yes, please!  I always enjoy looking at your photos but this sounds extraordinary.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hi Clare -here's a link to a local news report-they think it was a result of just too many fish caught in nets

www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-england-cornwall-38368204

Sad,but at least the birds are getting fed-I even saw a Buzzard taking a fish off the beach this afternoon

Jayne

See my Flickr photos here.

• Gulls and waders are always fun to see and you've taken such lovely photos of them Clare;  hope some of them take a bath before they head into the New Year lol  

@ Jayne,  I saw via TV news the report of the fish washed up in thousands on Marazion beach (possibly due to ring netting by all accounts), so sad to see but good food source for all the gulls and other sea/coastline dwellers no doubt.  

Regards, Hazel 

• Lovely set of shots, Clare. Well done on capturing the Kestrel, they always seem to vanish as soon as they see me.

My bird photos HERE

• Unknown said:

Hi Clare -here's a link to a local news report-they think it was a result of just too many fish caught in nets

www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-england-cornwall-38368204

Sad,but at least the birds are getting fed-I even saw a Buzzard taking a fish off the beach this afternoon

Jayne

Thanks for that.  I found the comment from the Cornish fishing spokeman quite depressing - he said something about not wanting to see all those fish 'becoming fodder for seagulls'!  Doesn't exactly show thought or concern for a family of birds which are pretty much all amber and red listed.

• Well spotted and good pics of the Kestrel Clare, and mucky or not the gulls are lovely especially those last two.

Lot to learn

• Ooooh, fabulous Kestrel, thanks Clare!

I'm beginning to think that there are a great many people who might think it a good thing if Gulls disappeared, don't come across too many who actually appreciate their beauty!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr