Farne Islands 19-5-2014

Had a weeks holiday in Seahouses, stayed in the same cottage as we have done for some years now.
I could only visit the Farne Islands once and chose the Inner Farne seeing you can get some good photographic opportunities and I was not disappointed, there are two pictures I took that I like very much and one bird we can find on our local canal or lake the Mallard!!  for these I got down on my belly for the shots and I think they turned out quit nicely.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• I'm going on a 6 hour all day trip to the Farne Islands on June 21st with my RSPB Local Group from Newcastle and we will spend 2 hours on Staple Island in the morning and 2 hours on Inner Farne in the afternoon weather permitting. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip out their. It's been quite a few years since I went on a boat trip to the Farne Islands. So I'm certainly looking forward to the trip on June 21st and hopefully some good weather.

Regards,

Ian.

• June should be a good month for the Puffins bringing in their catch for the young, Ian, I never saw any with Sand ells this year, and you never know my mate might want to go for a few days so we could pop up and stay at the The Olde Ship Inn that we have stayed in before, they sell a very good pint too Speckled Hen :)

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Some pictures taken on the Inner Farne.

Taken from the back of Serenity II

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Great shots Jim. I'm off to the Isle of May on Thursday (hopefuly) so these are a welcome appetizer for some of the things I might see. Love the Mallard chicks as well.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Thanks, Paul, and hope you have a nice time on the Isle of May a place I have never been.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Fabulous picture Jim - I'm also going to the Farne Islands in June - same day as Thomo actually and if I come back with photos anything like yours, I will be really happy!

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• Thanks, Christine, Bob, I have taken the Arctic Turns in flight with a 60mm macro lens before now, so you don't need a long lens they come to you and sometimes land on your head and peck you so make sure you have good headgear on those bills are sharp and can draw blood.
    The Puffins / Guillemots / Shags / Razorbills are always obliging on the rocks and you will have to mind your step the Arctic Turns nest on the board walk so you have to keep an eye out for the young seeing the eggs were down when I was there.
    The 400mm can be a little to long at times, Bob, but I also carry the 70-200mm with me on another body just in case and I also take a HD video camera with me too

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• I hope its calm weather for my trip to the Farne Islands, as I've heard from within my RSPB Local Group that the Staple Island landing by boat is more difficult than on Inner Farne and sometimes when you can land on Inner Farne you can't land on Staple Island.

I hope you have a good trip on Friday Bob and have a good birthday as well. My birthday was actually 2 weeks ago, so your birthday must be very close to mine.

Regards,

Ian.

• Staple Island landings can be tricky its at the front of the Island and is steep rocks but I have never thought it hard and I was 66 on the 15th of this month, landing at the back of the Island is better but they don’t have it opened often because of the nesting birds I think, last year they did and that was the first time I got to use it.

This picture was taken in June 2011 with the canon 60mm macro lens, Bob.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Nice 1 Bob lol

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group