Hi everyone!

Robyn was one of the people that went along to the river clean up event and she wanted to share some information about the event. Take it away Robyn:

Hi everyone,

Robyn here. On 25 November I attended the Concrete Barges foreshore clean up event arranged by Gray's Beachcombers and Thames21.

Thames21 is the voice for London’s waterways, working with communities to improve rivers and canals for people and wildlife.

On 25 November we went over to the concrete barges to clean up the area of foreshore - this area gets a lot of rubbish washed up from the capital.

The event was great, hopefully these clean-ups will become more regular (next one on Saturday 13 January).

Here is some numbers for you:
38 volunteers in 3 hours filled around 100 bags of litter and two larger bags collecting 4350 PLASTIC BOTTLES (amazing but very sad). The last clean-up was in September so these have washed up in just a few months.

We had around 5 people getting to the site by either walking, running and cycling so great effort for those people!! We would like to continually support these groups running these days, we were extremely lucky with the weather (although for a short while I couldn't feel my fingers) and it really felt like we made a difference.

It was a huge effort by all the volunteers that took part - thank you all!  Thames21 have sent this information on what we picked to Parliament to hopefully raise concerns over single use plastic usage in the capital.

If you are interested in getting involved in the next one, and in particular if you are interested in cycling/running/walking to the event it would be great to have you along so please email me on robyn.smith@rspb.org.uk for more information.

Image may contain: plant, sky, shoes, outdoor, nature and water
Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and nature