Hello, it's been a while since my last update, so I thought I would post a nice long account of what's been going on. The wildlife at Leighton Moss is superb at anytime of year, but there is certainly something special about autumn time. I went for a stroll yesterday morning down to Grisedale hide, and was instantly greeted by the sound of roaring red deer stags. As I opened the hide door I almost expected one to be right in front of the hide due to the sheer volume of its roars. It became apparent that there were actually three stags having a red deer version of a sing off, from various points of the reed bed. They are certainly getting in the mood for the pending rut. Late September and throughout October is the red deer rutting season, when the stags all battle it out for the right to breed with the females (the hinds). Look out for the number of tines (prongs on the antlers) as this is a pretty good guideline to a stags age. The more tines, the older normally that individual is, although this is only a guide as the growth is driven my testosterone levels. You may be fortunate enough to see them clash antlers as they go head to head in battle, and Grisedale and Tim Jackson hides are certainly the best viewing arenas.

Other wildlife has been equally impressive. With multiple otter sightings from Public, Lilian's and Grisedale hides. These mischevious mammals are best looked for early morning, but they have been spotted at random times throughout the day. Autumn also signals the time of year for our bearded tits to start using the grit trays. There have been the odd sighting up till now, largely featuring the same female. Why not come to our bearded tit guided walks throughout October for a good chance to see these incredibly unique birds, details here. Migration is well under way amongst our birds, and we have been left with just one marsh harrier after the incredible breeding success they had. Today produced an osprey sighting from Lower hide, this will be a bird from the north stopping off to refuel before making the long journey to Africa. Other migrants that have been spotted have consisted largely of waders. With curlew sandpipers, ruff and spotted redshanks still present on the Eric Morecambe pool, there has been no sign recently of the two pectoral sandpipers and the little stints that spent some time on the salt marsh too. A lone avocet has emerged down on the salt marsh as well (I think it saw the prices down south and did a u-turn back). Other sightings from this area have included, golden plovers and green sandpipers. The black tailed godwits numbers are impressive and the dunlins have topped 150. The Morecambe Bay estuary is a vital habitat for waders, and is home to hundreds of thousands of them in the winter months. This is because it is fantastic mud, full of tasty snacks for wading birds. The bright sunshine today brought the drogonflies and hawkers back out and about. With some great views of migrant and brown hawker especially. Butterflies recently have included, painted lady in the sensory garden, brimstone and comma. Star of the day though has got to be the kingfishers, with some fantastic photos from visitors being taken from Public hide and Eric Morecambe hide. There is plenty going, and Leighton Moss is a fantastic place to witness some of natures amazing spectacles! Don't miss out!