The Sea !

Hi all, don't know about you but the one place I love to be near is the sea, the one place I can sit for hours just watching it, the one place I feel at piece with myself and contemplate life itself.

I am no Photographer but here are a few I have taken quiet recently. Feel free to put your sea pictures on here.

I thank you ;-)

You can almost smell it.

Feed The Birds....not the cats!!!!

I know....my spelling's crap !!

•  ©1997-2014 SurfChex.com. All rights reserved.

Ahh, it's summer at the Outer Banks, North Carolina.  There are other areas within this camera range that are much less crowded.

I'm beginning to mistrust the color portrayed by these cams.  In my experience these waters are sometimes blue, as shown here.  But most often on a nice sunny day they are a lovely seagreen. I have been watching these cams for several months now and have never seen the seagreen that the Atlantic Ocean truly is most often.

The sand is sand-colored :), not blue, so yes, the color is definitely off.

•  ©1997-2014 SurfChex.com. All rights reserved.

With category 2 Hurricane Arthur moving up the Atlantic Coast, the Hatteras cams have shown some interesting scenes.  I like this one of my favorite fishing pier at Nags Head, North Carolina.  This was captured about 6:00 a.m. local time as the hurricane passed about 20 miles offshore.

•  I've just noticed something, apparently new, at the Nags Head Pier (Outer Banks North Carolina, USA).  Have three windmills been installed on the pier or is that simply decorative Whirlygigs such as we had in the yard when I was a child?  Maybe I should be able to tell by appearance and this is just a stupid question, but I cannot tell.  The posts do seem rather small to be the real thing.

This is not unrelated to birds, as real wind equipment could affect the local bird population.

Looking at the above picture, posted back in early July, I see the posts without the blades.

If any of our readers have further information, please let us know.

• Hello June,

I always liked the look of piers at the seaside, so your question made me curious. I found two websites: www.outerbanks.com and www.jennetspier.net, and this is, in short, what I found out about this pier in your pictures:

The pier is situated at Nags Head and is called "Jennet's Pier" after its builders and first owners, the Jennet-Brother's and Warren H. Jennet Sr. It was built in 1939, and because of changes and addittions it is now 1000 foot (or feet???) long. It was heavily damaged by Hurricane Isabel in 2003, when more than 500 foot (or feet??) collapsed. It was rebuilt hurricane-proof between 2009 and 2011, and a few days before its re-opening already it already was put to test by Hurricane Irene.

Some sections of the pier will be closed now between August 18th and August 22nd for "regular wind turbine maintenance". Onthe picture you can see 3 Bergey Excel-S wind turbines. "At maximum output, the turbines are capable of fulfilling nearly half the facility's electrical needs". There are also photovoltaic cells, a geothermal system, and a rainwater cistern (for deck washdown). The website makes clear that the owners are very proud to use so much green energy, and do so much to save drinking-water.

So you see: These turbines are no toy at all, but they are really built for producing energy. It was very interesting to read through all of this information, so thank you for asking this question! The area must be very good for spending holidays / vacations.

I hope I didn't get anything wrong on these websites. If that was the case: I apologise to everyone who might feel offended.

Very kind regards, as always,

Bente

• Bente, Thanks so much for your research.  I will take your info back to THE GABFEST  for my comments.

• Another thread that needs unlocking. 

• I just happened to be lurking at the sea front at Felixstowe earlier today:

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Very atmospheric, Clare!  Grey rocks, grey sea, grey skies--winter?  What was the temperature?

Kind regards, Ann

• It was about 14-15 degrees, Ann, and the promised rain was incoming.  Happily it was still dry at that point.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• lovely photos Clare,  the coastal areas make for wonderful photographic opportunities.  

post edit:  seems this thread goes to blank page when you try search for it ..... another thread that now needs a new Part 2   start !

Regards, Hazel