how many nests does a black bird make in a season?

In late March a blackbird made a nest in my garden, it was very exposed but the hen layed 3 eggs. She deserted this to make another nest in my front garden, one egg was layed this she deserted. Nest no 3 was made in my neighbours garden, 3 eggs that duly hatched but again deserted. Then nest No, 4 agin in my garden one egg and again deserted. She at last has at this time made another nest, 3 eggs and I await with interest to see if this will be a success. has anyone else had this happen to a bird they have been observing. I know when the hen is nest building as she has taken a liking to the compost in my plant tubs and usually empties a 12" pot with each nest to line it as until recently we had no rain so mud was at a premium for her. I didn't mind, just refilled the pot and wetted it well for her.

This world is not ours but only in trust for future generations.

• Hi J.Blackbirds do seem to build nests in the strangest places, often very vulnerable.Sad that they put so much efort in and then abandon it but that's what they do when worried or disturbed.

Hopefully this one will do well.....Fingers and Toes crossed :0)

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• Hi Jollysussexman

That sounds typical Blackbirds behaviour.

We have had the same pair of blackbirds nesting in our Ivy bush because it so dense, and it gives a secure place for the chicks to fledge.  One pair of Blackbirds we have in our garden have produced 3 lots of chicks so far... and they are tending the third lot now

Half of the problem with Blackbirds is that they are very untidy nest builders, and it goes against them for more reasons than one...nest easily raided et...also they tend to build nests in exposed areas and too low to the ground for nest builders.

It is good that your Blackbirds have you to take care of their needs and watch over them - they are an interesting bird to have in your garden.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

jollysussexman said:

In late March a blackbird made a nest in my garden, it was very exposed but the hen layed 3 eggs. She deserted this to make another nest in my front garden, one egg was layed this she deserted. Nest no 3 was made in my neighbours garden, 3 eggs that duly hatched but again deserted. Then nest No, 4 agin in my garden one egg and again deserted. She at last has at this time made another nest, 3 eggs and I await with interest to see if this will be a success. has anyone else had this happen to a bird they have been observing. I know when the hen is nest building as she has taken a liking to the compost in my plant tubs and usually empties a 12" pot with each nest to line it as until recently we had no rain so mud was at a premium for her. I didn't mind, just refilled the pot and wetted it well for her.