Mrs Hobby and chick

Hi, have been watching an adorable chick which is Mrs. Hobby's offspring.  I notice that only the egg has hatched, is this normal, or is the other one on a late shift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I popped in for a quick look yesterday but she was sat on the nest so I couldn't see. I assumed the other had hatched by now.

• It may be a failed egg.  It was apparently due to hatch earlier this week on monday. 
    The other chick hatched last thursday and is doing very well indeed, especially when compared with the size of the egg still on the nest!
    Mum was out this morning and I saw her come back with a meal for little one who ate  very greedily then settled to nap again.

• Hello Lynette, I have been watching Mrs.H since she laid eggs and the second one is a failed egg.

The wee chick is beautiful and I have named her Holly. The reason I think it is female is because of the size of her feet. Have a look next time, they are absolutely HUGE :o)  Hobbies must have an extremely strong digestive system: at feeding time 'mum'  gives the wee one feathers, bones and today she swallowed a whole leg !!!!!

Isn't our new website great?

• Hi Lynette I think it's a failed egg, sadly. Isn't the wee one adorable? I saw mum feeding her or him the other day and I couldn't get over what a beautiful ball of fluff s/he is. Hobby's are a really pretty bird of prey.

• Hi Maureen and Jeanette,

I love the name Holly......and agree with you both the chick is gorgeous.   This mum really has taken my interest.
    The Hobby is a really quite rare I think. It is also supremely fast on the wing, flying at an amazing speed approaching 100mph.

• Elizabeth M said:

Hi Maureen and Jeanette,

I love the name Holly......and agree with you both the chick is gorgeous.   This mum really has taken my interest.
    The Hobby is a really quite rare I think. It is also supremely fast on the wing, flying at an amazing speed approaching 100mph.

Hi to you all, it must be a failed egg, I think sometimes the chick wants it out of the nest looking at her antics in it. She/he is certainly making good progress. As I'm writing this I am also watching two of the sisters still (ospreys) tucking into their supper. It must have been a whopper brought in, possibly by mum who was on the nest with all three girls earlier.

• Lynette D said:

Hi Maureen and Jeanette,

Hi to you all, it must be a failed egg, I think sometimes the chick wants it out of the nest looking at her antics in it. She/he is certainly making good progress. As I'm writing this I am also watching two of the sisters still (ospreys) tucking into their supper. It must have been a whopper brought in, possibly by mum who was on the nest with all three girls earlier.

[/quote]Holly is alovely name, shame about the other egg,

I haven't seen her being fed yet but sounds like mum is doing agood job