Are we are the luckiest generation of all? A short essay.

Are we are the luckiest generation of all?

Christmas is over. How many Charles Dickens versions of 'A Christmas Carol' did you count over the holiday period? This is a short essay on the ghosts of Past, Present and Future.

I read in a newspaper article that people born in 1948 are considered to be the luckiest generation of all.

Their generation saw free schooling; free healthcare and an end to National Service. They missed World War II; rationing never affected them too much as children and they were the first generation that climbed onto the property ladder. They were even the first people to experience 'The Pill' - free love, flower power, peace on you and all that jazz.

They can also look forward to a comfortable retirement. The current pensions crisis is set to make people work longer for less reward. But the 1948 crowd will enjoy a retirement funded by a final salary scheme. And there aren't too many of those schemes about anymore!

So, are you one of them? And do you feel lucky?

It got me to thinking.
Oil has now been predicted to last for another 80/90 years. When it eventually runs out it will only have covered roughly a 200-year period. Will that mean the end of travel as we know it? And, presumably, it will get more expensive the nearer that time gets. Indeed, it's at an all-time high in this country right now.

So I think those of us living now are the luckiest generation of all, especially those interested in Wildlife.

Wildlife watching (and travelling) for earlier generations was a pastime only the 'idle rich' could indulge in. Most of our parents and grandparents were either too poor; too busy at work or caught up in the horrors of the Wars. Or raising us! There was no infrastructure to take them to the 'wildlife' places anyway. Air travel was too expensive and there were very few 'Nature Reserves'. A week in Bognor was about the most ambitious holiday many had. That was usually where, as a child, I ended up.

But these days, more people have more spare time and more spare cash, albeit within the middle of a recession. Countries around the world are more accessible, wildlife conservation 'tourism' is becoming more and more popular. People can visit both Poles; the Titanic and even take a trip into space!

But then, spare a thought for tomorrow's generation.
A couple of weeks ago I was at another reserve, sitting in a Hide. A family came in and the two small children were totally enthralled with watching the Tits and Finches on the Feeders. I smiled to myself and thought how they would be even more excited at what they would see when they grew up.

But what wildlife will be left for them to experience? What with alleged global warming and habitat degradation some 'experts' are predicting a 50% loss of all other species by the end of this century. Indeed, 500 animal and plant species have become extinct in England – practically all within the last two centuries. It's been said that we are mortgaging our children's future. Are we also dooming them to experiencing wildlife only through our photos and films?

Last year was the International Year of Biodiversity. Helping to save species for future generations. And dare I use the 'S' word: Sustainability.

So the message for today's generation, always look on the bright side of life.
We are indeed one of the luckiest generations to have lived.

And, as a post script, I got home today and a (nameless) bird left his deposit on me....Wildlife 1 GrahamC 0.

Hopefully, none of these will disappear in my lifetime.

Comments?

Best wishes, Graham

• Wow some real heart felt stuff here! :-) I was not quite that lucky apparently and yet it has never been so good as today, in an age when we can do all that and this too!! Regardless of the cost we will always be paid an amount that allows us to live but keeps us needing to work and no more. Human will and skill,  will keep us free to move around. No matter what they say tomorrow will be better still :-) DON"T LET THEM GRIND YOU DOWN.

Back off the box John boy, back off the box! :-))

For viewing or photography right place right time is everything. I'd rather be in the right place with poor kit than have the best kit and be in the wrong place.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 18/01/2011 20:48 in reply to Highland McHale

Very true Highland!  I have to say I think I would rather have my life to my sons life as it is now.

I was lucky enough to be brought up in the countryside [one of 4 children] and we learned so much from our happy carefree roaming days. I don't remember ever being indoors and maybe that is why I am hardly indoors now. We had no money but people worked for everything they had. My dad worked long and hard hours on the farm and the land to provide for us.  There was no leaving off at 5, if the job was to be done they worked into the evening to finish it.

My sons have more money than we ever had but it is a different "techie" life in comparison.

Sometimes I find it difficult to be positive about tomorrow - I suppose it depends on what we want from life but I would have my childhood any day!

• I quite agree with those sentiments Coral,not meaning to upset any younger forum users,but I do not envy them their life with all their expectations and claims on their income.From the experiences of our own daughter they often seem to struggle to stay still.We never had a lot of brass (still not got a lot) but maybe life seemed a lot simpler or at least it seemed to be in our rural areas(begining to sound as if I'm due a telegram from the Queen so I'd better shut up )

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi

I was born in 46 and had a great childhood being brought up with older brothers and sisters.

We all new what discipline was and had the greatest respect for our elders.

We knew what it was to hold a door open or give a seat up on the bus.

Nowadays the most common name for a 36 year old is Nan or Grandad

Ray

a good laugh is better than a tonic

• I wonder if some recollections here are through rose coloured spectacles, when summers were always hot, it never rained, we had crisp deep snow in winter with no slush, happy families round the kitchen table? Or was it mum  wringing out heavy sheets and blankets by hand having washed them in the sink, shopping daily because there was no fridge at home, unless you count the bedrooms and bathroom with ice covering the insides of the windows, frozen water pipes, scrubbing pans with metal things, and yes ........ hours of threading peanuts on strings of cotton to hang from the washing line for the blue tits because there were no such thing as peanut feeders!!

It WAS wonderful growing up in those days, no doubt about it - but perhaps not so good for our parents. I prefer my life now to that of my mum's when I was little.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Susan H said:

I wonder if some recollections here are through rose coloured spectacles, when summers were always hot, it never rained, we had crisp deep snow in winter with no slush, happy families round the kitchen table? Or was it mum  wringing out heavy sheets and blankets by hand having washed them in the sink, shopping daily because there was no fridge at home, unless you count the bedrooms and bathroom with ice covering the insides of the windows, frozen water pipes, scrubbing pans with metal things, and yes ........ hours of threading peanuts on strings of cotton to hang from the washing line for the blue tits because there were no such thing as peanut feeders!!

It WAS wonderful growing up in those days, no doubt about it - but perhaps not so good for our parents. I prefer my life now to that of my mum's when I was little.

Well said, Sparrow!  I know my mother had a much harder time of it than I did as a parent!

As a 1947-er myself I'm well aware that my daughter didn't have the same freedom as I did as a child.  I often feel that the lives of people today are dominated by screens - but hey!  - what  am I staring at right now?

• Agree with that Sparrow but most of us knew of any other way of life to really think about it unless we were jealous of those posh folk up the hill,we could only tug our forelock to them.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Brilliant idea for a thread. I was born in the 50's and in some ways it was great, in others it definitely was not.

Sparrow is quite right, life was harder in so many ways.

People forget that women had fewer rights and especially in work terms were treated as second class citizens. We had a narrow range of potential professions, teacher, nurse and secretary were the acceptable choices. We received about half the pay for doing the same work. When we married we were legally obliged to leave these professions. Women could not get HP unless their husbands signed the form. They could not be the legal tenant of a council house, could not obtain a mortgage without a man's signature. etc. etc. I could go on but won't bore you.

I am not saying it was all easy for men either, but these were inequalities enshrined in law when I first started work and adulthood as a young woman.

I think only 10% of the population went to University and the working class paid for huge grants for this privileged few. However, I believe the gap between rich and poor is now widening in this country so have things really changed?.

I believe every era in our recent history has positives and negatives. There are things I loved about the 60's and even 70's but cannot forget there was a lot of hardship as well.  Oh and I teach 11 to 19 year olds and can assure you that generally, todays teenagers are extremely hard working, caring and a pleasure to be with. 

Mind you, I do feel I am a very lucky person and do appreciate what wonderful wealth and opportunities I have had compared to so many in the world.  In the end,It is all relative. :-). 

Kind regards Jane.

• My Mum was born in '44, she grew up on a farm my Dad a few yrs older had the freedom of a village but not the beach as no one was allowed there due to  possible invasion. Mum married young compared with me Dad was about the same age as me. Mum didn't travel - see the world + she would have loved that, Dad saw lots thrugh his work. Now that Mum has retired, life is quite difficult as she looked after me + my siblings for a long time. As a result of not working her state pension is not 'full'. As Dad came across tough times early 90's black which ever day,  they have v little other pension to help them out. She grew up on a farm

I think that things must have been v tough for Mum when we were wee in the 70's + the electric was off lots. We were allowed to go on bike rides more than I allow my boys. We played in the fields for hrs. I try + allow my children as great a degree of freedom as I can. I do like to know where they are so if needed I can find them.

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• When I think of the sacrifices that so many of the previous generation to ours made, (often the ultimate sacrifice) to give us the freedom to make the choices we have, I do worry if we have got enough right. rather than wrong.

The technology we now have, which gives us so much freedom of expression and from previous health issues does seem to be at the cost of the loss of family and community.

Then again there are Internet forums like this one and the RSPB from which it springs that prove that tecnological advances can be compatible with a true sense of community.

Are we passing on a world that is perfect to the next generation? No.

Is it the best we can do? probably not.

Is the attitude of those who need to think of those generations that follow improved ? - yes I think so 

In conclusion, we all have made choices and will continue to do so, hopefully the errors we made in the past will not be repeated and the correct choices will be the ones we choose

Best regards
    Nigel

| My Images |  Newport Wetlands on Flickr @barman58