Membership Card’s and scanning!

Last week I was talking to an RSPB member at RSPB Saltholme from North Yorkshirewho was on holiday in North East England and we started talking about  wildlife and bird consevation. But to cut this short he informed me that at. RSPB reserves  Fairborn zings and St Aidans in North Yorkshire which has lots of public footpaths and so of couurse free admission for everyone, but has always had car park charging at both reserves for non-members. RSPB members who had to display there membership card on the inside of there from car windows. Now members have to scam there membership cards on the pay and display  ticket machines to get there free car parking ticket. Nothing  has been mentioned to me about this Has any other RSPB members been to either of those two RSPB reserve. I was there by coach in September 2023.  I don’”t know when that started. But I’m only taken that RSPB members word I believe him! Unless I hear otherwise!

Regards,

Ian.

• Hi Thomo, at RSPB Sandy you now have to scan your card for a free members parking ticket to display in your car. It has been like this since earlier in the year.

• Yes, you need to get a special ticket (for free) from the ticket machines at both reserves. This has been the case for several years.

• Several National Trust "countrtyside" area's do the same, Badbury Rings for one. I don't know if anyone ever checks for tickets in windscreens though.

• The National Trust att  most of the open countryside and coastline properties has pay and display for more than 5 years. Also where there are admission charge like Stately Homes, the staff/volunteers scan National Trust members, membership cards as well. The  Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust have been scanning members, membership cards for at least 20 years, possibly more! The scanning of members. membership cards was announced by the RSPB in mid 2023.

The National Trust are not that strict at most car parks. In  the Lake District some of the  National Trust car parks have cameras. If the pay and display ticket machines are not working because of a fault and no staff or volunteers around. National Trust recommend 
    iff possible that members put there membership number and date, day and time of parking on some paper if possible and the date and time of parking.

Regards,

Ian.