A bird-feeder going broke

Hello,

I am sure the easy answer here is "stop feeding them". But what is the limit, at what point do I stop? 

Live in a basement flat with communal spaces I currently have: 

• squirrel box
  • nut feeder
  • water/food tray combo
  • large caged ant-squirrel feeder
  • fat ball feeder

I keep a good supply of fat balls, seeds, nuts and squirrel mixes in a large galvanised bin outside. Each time I top up the feeders I get a barrage of mainly squirrels, pigeons, crows, robins and magpies. I love seeing them feed, and like knowing I am supporting their lives. 

BUT... they eat so much. It seems the same two squirrels will sit there and consume almost the entire lot, and the same for a handful of birds consuming the other food. Do I exercise tough love and only feed set amounts, on a set timetable, or do I just... let them eat?

Darren 

• Hi Darren, quite the predicament! Personally I'd only fill the feeders once a day, and vary the time too, if you don't already. Alternatively don't fill all the feeders every day. Either way will hopefully save you money, and with it being bug season the birds will be able to feed themselves a natural diet

• Hello,

I'm pleased there should be a good amount of natural good for them this time of year. I have a nesting box hidden in a bush, which normally has some Dunnock or Sparrow flying in and out of. I hope it gets used in colder months, and worry about giving them enough food.

I'll be more conservative this time of year. Greedy buggers!

• Try and think of it as supportive feeding - there is or should be plenty of 'natural' food available and you are just offering a little bit of 'extra'. not their sole source of food - I would drop to more water supplies and 1 feeder at this time of year - and your judgemental greys can go fend for themselves for a bit

Cin J

• I hadn't thought of it like that, more that there is sparse food and I must feed them (I live close to a lot of woodland!) So I shall scale back.