Control of Gull should happen to protect Avocet young!

https://britishbirds.co.uk/sites/default/files/2019_V112_N05_282-292_urbangulls.pdf

In my opinion Gulls particularly Black Headed Gulls should be controlled at some reserve where all the Avocet young are being taken mainly by Black Headed Gulls. There is one local reserve where all of the Avocet chicks have all been taken by gulls for at least the last 4 years and mainly Black Headed Gulls. The easiest way would be by impregnating the gulls eggs and making those eggs infertile and getting the population lowered to a smaller population by doing this every year until this happens. I know lots of individuals wouldn’t like this. But in my opinions this has to be some by getting a licence to do this. It has been done in the past. Sometimes difficult decisions have to he made. And this is one decision in my opinion that should be made. I’m not a sentimental person. But pragmatic!

Regards,

Ian.

• I take it you are talking about flagship reserve RSPB Saltholme - I was there today and couldn't see anything but Back Headed Gulls outside Paddy's Hide.There certainly won't be a shortage of Black headed Gulls next year Slight smile

• Not at Saltholme. Very local to where I live. Saltholme has done better. It’s not far from where I live and that is WWT Washington Wetlands Centre! And it’s happened every year for at least the last 4 years and possibly more. There have been a lot more gulls particularly Black Headed Gulls this year. I know Saltholme will have this problem eventually.. Other reserve have had to make difficult decision to a humane cull of gulls over the years as well. Leighton Moss management over many years as well have had to cull a number of Deer because of damaging the reed beds.  And I have to say sometimes this has to be done. I never get sentimental over this subject at all. Culling Grey Squirrels is essential to protect the Red Squirrel this has to be done on a regular basis. There are at times difficult decisions have to be made and I do agree when these decisions have to be made.

Regards,

Ian.

• More lesser black-backed, then. They are seen to predate BHGs.

• A balance of Nature is essential! I said Gulls. To many and breeding fast. It is mainly the Avocet young affected. But there are some who think everything should be protected including rats and Grey Squirrels. Despite the damage they do. I alway have said this! I’ve argued with some in my local RSPB Group as well. Only a minority. But that is my view. Bert Axell did the same at Minsmere many years ago. But I’ve heard that this is not done at Minsmere now. Of which I disagree with. But as I said sometimes these decisions which some don’t agree with or are not popular, but sometimes there is no other way.

Regards,

Ian.

• I'm always curious when terms like culling and control are used.... why do we use euphemisms for killing? I think because it makes the reality of the action easier. I love all animals (and yes, I'm happy to use 'sentimental' terms, it's not a sign of weakness or lack of clarity of thought, as, conversely, not being sentimental is not a definitive sign of strength or clarity), as and such I don't want any harmed. All life is precious. Remember that when we are culling or controlling we as human beings are making the decision that one life is worth more than another. There's nothing more to it than that. We want to see a species, and so we kill another to ensure it happens. I'm personally not fully convinced we have the right to do that, simply because we like a species.

I came on to this forum to look for advice on blue tits, and the first thing I saw was 'something needs killing'. 

It's worth saying that I cancelled my long standing RSPB membership last year after learning that the RSPB advocate the use of larsen traps. For anyone who hasn't seen these used in real life, I suggest you do... the reality of what uncaring people can do when they don't like a species is dreadful (and yes, I will proudly free animals and destroy and traps that I find and will continue to do so). As such, my mbership fees are now NOT going to the otherwise good causes of the RSPB. Such a shame that they make decisions I would normally associate with DEFRA. I'd invite anyone to also see the effects rat control has via poisoning... if its not enough watching something slowly die over 5-6 days, as its internal organs pool with blood and its brain swells so much that blood come out of its nose and ears, then try to find a buzzard or sparrowhawk that's also suffering from secondary bromethalin poisoning..or a pet cat or dog. 

Everyone is entitled to their stance on this. Caring for all life should not be looked down upon. We are to quick to accept culling as a solution.

• Two issues in this thread.

1) There will be no cull of BHGs to protect avocets. You don't cull any native species to protect a booming species. Avocets have spread far and wide, and in many places are the most likely wader to be seen.

2) Conservation. Culls by conservation organisations are for conservation reasons. People against culls are people who are against all sorts but have no solutions for anything. A protest movement with no goals other than be against things. There is no point having a conservation organisation, like RSPB is, if they then don't conserve what is under threat. Unless career protestors come up with alternatives, they will remain on the sidelines. It is nothing to do with liking one species more than another!

• That means you would keep Rats and Grey Squirrels as they are in the wild. Some agree with you! I don’t!

Regards,

Ian.

1. https://conservationevidencejournal.com/reference/pdf/2315
    2. Controlling Gulls on RSPB Coquet Island and this report in 2020 with evidence by removing eggs from nests under licence is and legal and a reduction in 2 types  of gulls. Another way this has been done is by inserting liquid into eggs to make the eggs infertile. In certain  circumstances this is allowed.

Regards,

Ian.