Rutland Water

Not a good day yesterday, the planned Scotland trip for Mrs PR and myself is off, our host has tested positive for Covid and not feeling too well, and various tech issues with the car, that were ghost issues due to interrupted software updates over the air, yesterday was a very frustrating day.

I was looking forward to potentially seeing an osprey or two over the lochs, along with other Highland sights, so someone suggested Rutland Water, they have resident ospreys.

Good idea, and I was wondering if anyone here has been, or a regular visitor, who can offer any info, advice, tips etc.

Thanks in advance.

• I'm defo no expert, I've been once before and the only place I saw the ospreys was actually at a slightly different area than the main Rutland Reserve. (Instead in an area where you can see the nest). And even then I only saw them sitting on the nest, it may be a bit different though as it was more March/April time. I am actually planning to go within the next couple of weeks though!

Again I'm no expert but I guess there would be more people around who would know.

Regards

Benji

• Hey Mike. We stopped overnight on the way to or from somewhere, and there was a nice b&b 2 minutes from it. When I get home Saturday I'll have a look in see if I can find details if that's any use

• It might be worth your while to get in touch with Rutland direct to see what info they can help you with ... do you watch the Manton Bay Osprey thread on the forum, was a dramatic happening there yesterday!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• BenjiS said:

I'm defo no expert, I've been once before and the only place I saw the ospreys was actually at a slightly different area than the main Rutland Reserve. (Instead in an area where you can see the nest). And even then I only saw them sitting on the nest, it may be a bit different though as it was more March/April time. I am actually planning to go within the next couple of weeks though!

Again I'm no expert but I guess there would be more people around who would know.

Many thanks Benji and the info shared is very useful. I've not planned a date as yet, a lot depends on weather and my leg, so most likely it would be a weekend due to daily leg care clinics Mon-Fri. Being 90mins ish from home, looks relatively easy to get to. if you want to drop me a PM, assuming my diary is clear, I'd be happy to meet up with you.

I think most if not all osprey nests have restricted live viewing, except from webcams for the obvious reasons. Loch Garten the only viewing is via camera, online or in the visitor centre.

• PimperneBloke said:

Hey Mike. We stopped overnight on the way to or from somewhere, and there was a nice b&b 2 minutes from it. When I get home Saturday I'll have a look in see if I can find details if that's any use

Every little piece is useful, and thank you in advance.

• WendyBartter said:

It might be worth your while to get in touch with Rutland direct to see what info they can help you with ... do you watch the Manton Bay Osprey thread on the forum, was a dramatic happening there yesterday!

Many thanks Wendy. I'm on a fact finding mission, unlike many reserves where I've either been and  got first hand experience, or enjoyed reading/hearing other peoples experiences, tips and tricks etc. 

I will be contacting the trust who look after the reserve, primarily to check access. I will also have a chat with someone I know who has been to Rutland, when I can catch up with them at their workplace. As with many conservation employees, the work is seven days a week.

I haven't looked at the Manton Bay osprey thread, I'll also add, I didn't know Manton Bay was part of the Leicestershire Wildlife Trust, which explains why I couldn't find Rutland on the community. I will be reading that.

• A quick update Wendy, and others, fabulous news, I've just had a look.

• Hi-

visit the Egleton Reserve centre and ask for the best place to see Ospreys-  I've never missed them there at the appropriate time-

Binoculars obviously essential- telescope handy

Slight smile S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• seymouraves said:

Hi-

visit the Egleton Reserve centre and ask for the best place to see Ospreys-  I've never missed them there at the appropriate time-

Binoculars obviously essential- telescope handy

Slight smile S

Many thanks for the reply, and my apologies for the delayed reply.

I would have visited the VC, usually best for the latest info etc.

It'll be 10x42 bins,100-400 lens plus 2x extender.

However, things are back on hold, due to the ongoing leg issues.

• Sorry to hear of the leg issues still troubling you Mike, I looked though all my info, we visited in January, and my pics were so poor I don't think I even did a post, so I'm of no help at all!