Moon Phases, Moon Tonight & Celestial Events 2024

Thought I'd kick this one off for this year. Simplified the name a little.

The Memsahib and I sat out last night, joining thousands across the country in Aurora Borealis watch. We were sat on a bench, on a rise, next to the 17th Tee of a local golf course we walked to. How considerate of them to place a bench there for us to use. JoyJoyJoy

Sadly, no Aurora Borealis was spotted as we sat there gazing until 23:15. We got good views of Aurora Wokinghamis, though.

Bored stiff with the waiting around, I played about with my Canon R7 and Sigma 18-300mm lens, to see what it could do. Tripod mounted, naturally. Lazy as ever, I left it in Program mode, pressed shutter release and left it to get on with its own thing.

Here is its rendition of the Plough. Note the streak.

About 10 seconds later. I think the streak is a satellite. The ISS passed over earlier, bright as a candle.

Aurora Wokinghamis.

Just for a laugh, I pointed my camera at the crescent moon.

Very surprised how there was sufficient light to show the dark side (not far side, obviously) of the moon.

Much pleased with what the R7 could do with no effort on my part, I wanted to photograph Orion. It was not yet visible in the sky. One for another day.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.