house martin v house sparrow conflict

.....another year, so thought with the 'upgrade', I'd create another thread to document the sparrow issue that is politically incorrect, but that is happening across UK in many places....

Three martins arrived on 7th April. Two may well have been last year's successful pair as they went straight for the successful nest as soon as they arrived here. Sparrows have been in and out of the same nest (and literally all other artificial martin nests) ever since.

Sparrows have had a catastrophic effect on breeding martins here over the last decade, and martins are only clinging on due to late nests each year fledging young. Martin breeding extends beyond sparrow breeding season fortunately, and martins have benefited from very good late Summer weather......up til now.

• That time again Robbo!..let's hope for a better outcome this year!

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Three martins arrived on 7th April. Two may well have been last year's successful pair as they went straight for the successful nest as soon as they arrived here. Sparrows have been in and out of the same nest (and literally all other artificial martin nests) ever since.

Sparrows have had a catastrophic effect on breeding martins here over the last decade, and martins are only clinging on due to late nests each year fledging young. Martin breeding extends beyond sparrow breeding season fortunately, and martins have benefited from very good late Summer weather......up til now.

How much of this problem is down to the prevalence in some areas of artificial nests as opposed to those areas where the Martins have to rebuild or repair each year? I know in our village many people destroy the old nests on their window frames each winter but the Martins return and rebuild every year. Whereas an empty articial Martin nest can only be an attractive proposition to a house hunting Sparrow, especially if the entrance is left open.Perhaps a means of blocking the entrance until Martins are due backlight help - similar ti the way many people keep Swift boxes closed until arrival is imminent.

• Good common sense and it does have some merit. I do still block up the swift boxes til approx 1st May. However, I stopped blocking the martin nests as it achieved nothing. Even the swift boxes will be entered as soon as I take out the blockages. Did last year and I posted about it. Was nip and tuck as to whether swifts would hold on. (mixed opinions on whether swifts always win out, or lose some battles.....certainly have never evicted sparrows that were nesting in the years swifts disappeared for a few years). They got lucky in 2022 when they came back after sparrow first brood had just fledged so box was empty briefly.

The problem with sparrows, from what I've witnessed each year, is they can't help themselves.....I've documented many times how many won nests are then instantly abandoned. Public, and BTO surveys are none the wiser, other than the martin nest failed, as sparrows left no evidence on those occasions. Last year I posted a photo of a sparrow that died after getting stuck in a blue tit box entrance. They can't help but impulsively follow birds into nest holes. Blocking up martin cups keeps them out....either til they unblock them, which often happens, or til I do.   

• Thanks Linda. No chance based on what I've seen today. Was grateful re last year. Think if I was offered one successful martin nest this year, I'd take that now......oh, and a swiftlet fledging again....