Dormans Pool, near Saltholme

Strange Old Moor still has its list of small Satellite reserve near to RSPB Old Moor on the RSPB reserve listings. But for some reason thr 3 small RSPB satellite reserves close to RSPB Saltholme are not now mentioned under Salthome. Greetham Creek, Saltern Wetlands and Dormans Pool are not now mentioned. Saltern Wetland and Greetham Creek are well known. But Dormans Pool not so well known. For any new RSPB new members who won’t know anything about Dormans Pool as not signposted on the main road and it’s only 5-10 minutes walk outside of the entrance to Saltholme or you can take your cat to the small park at Dormans Pool and take your car up Huntman’s Drive. When you exit RSPB Saltholme by car on to the main road outside of Saltholme turn right on the main road and then turn left up Huntman’s Drive and that is the first road on the left hand side that is a private road. Make sure you your membership card as occasionally I’ve heard that the security may ask to see you membership cards as the road leads to lots of different industries and there is one hide overlooking Dormans Pool. Also there is a path to the opposite side of Dormans Pool  that has a viewpoint looking over Dormans Pool.The small car park for Dormans Pool on the left hand side a short way up Huntsman’s Drive. You can also walk along on the main road on a narrow cycle track on the opposite side of the road that you can walk along about5-10 walk along maybe a little less on the oppositie sideto the entrance at Saltholme and walk along the cycle track and then walk up Huntman’s Drive. But when you walk up Huntman’s drive be careful as at times there are large oil tankers going to get refilled from the oil terminals further along Huntman’s Drive.

Regards,

Ian.

• There is also one other small RSPB Satellite reserve called Port Clarence Pool, but there is no access for various reasons.

Regards,

Ian.

• Also an new area became part of the RSPB reserves in Cleveland in 2019 called Haverton Hole!

Regards,

Ian.

• At one time the RSPB mentioned all of these new RSPB reserves on the main main website and also in the quartely magazine. Now sadly it seems to be pot luck if these news items are mentioned on the main RSPB website or the quartely magazines. Mostly I find this news either from the various RSPB Facebook and RSPB Twitter websites or other non-RSPB websites and not on the RSPB main website as that used to be the case. I only found about all of those RSPB small satellite reserves as I visit Saltholme nearly every week by bus from Gateshead in Tyne and Wear at least twice a week except on a bird watching holiday every year.

Regards,

Ian.