Recent blog post from Flatford Wildlife Garden

I recently noticed this post from the Flatford Wildlife Garden and I'm commenting here as I'm unable to directly post on it.  It's a lovely piece on the survival of robins over winter - but the one thing I very strongly object to is the highlighting of Songbird Survival in it.  I don't count SS as a genuine conservation charity as they do not support the survival of our native raptors and corvids.  The last thing I expect from the RSPB is for you to give any kind of platform to people like this.  Please don't do it again.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• So after a bit of searching on the blog front...I really don't know how they have done it so perhaps yous are right and can only be done by staff or volunteers.

I have joined the group temporarily to post a link to this post on here then I shall leave again ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Linda257 said:

I thought anyone can do  blog but a will need to look into it. As for not being able to reply

You can by clicking on black box at the bottom to join the group just like you would need to do of you posted in the minsmere group or witever

As for RSPB staff I don't believe any have been back on here since the last spam storm as my PM to them has never had a reply

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The problem is that there isn't really a way of attracting attention to anything other than marking it as SPAM and we know that that doesn't work very often on here.  However they are much more receptive on Facebook presumably because you can message moderators. On Wednesday I reported some photographs of Captive birds posted on a group at 11:15 and although I received Ann initial automated reply saying that the "social media team are operating on a reduced capacity in the run-up to our Christmas and New Yewar break" they had been deleted by 13:30. Nice to be able to wind down before a break Slight smile.

But they are never going to react to any comment in a post as I doubt that any are ever read but BLOG posts should be vetted by someone else before they are put up just in case someone approves of something that the RSPB then have to apologise for at a later date, should that ever happen (again :) )

• Spammers often post their spam on replies to blogs and nobody batters an eyelid. I think they have wound down from the community for good not just for xmas!!!

Like you say they are more responsive on social media as that's their main focus.

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Linda257 said:
    Spammers often post their spam on replies to blogs and nobody batters an eyelid. I think they have wound down from the community for good not just for xmas!!!

Like you say they are more responsive on social media as that's their main focus.

I hope, but realistically doubt, the RSPB are reading and listening to their members.

It's a VERY BIG mistake for any organisation to centralise activities around social media. Yes they need to be there, but they also need to be looking in other areas, and in particular their own comms areas.

Like a lot of people I don't visit social media, and with the rapid increase in spam in those areas, finding social media increasingly repulsive. I still have a Twitter acc, not X, I abhor that name, but that has become too repulsive from a spam perspective, and a huge number of blue tick accounts I question their existance.

I don't use FB, I do have an instaspam acc, set up by my son so I can see the photos of him and his girlfriend. But I don't follow any other acc, there's too much spam, in fact, its beyond a sad and desperate marketplace for trash.

Social media may be a convenient central contact point, and it may also be cheaper, but it is not one to place all your reliance on.

If the RSPB continue to be so narrow minded, then I for one will seriously consider NOT renewing my membership. They won't be the first.

Rant over for now, and my apologies to the rest of you.

• Members of this forum have always been able to reply to all blogs in all sections. What we can’t do is start a blog. That has always had to be a member of staff or a volunteer of the RSPB!

Regards,

Ian.

• Michael B said:

Linda257 said:
    Spammers often post their spam on replies to blogs and nobody batters an eyelid. I think they have wound down from the community for good not just for xmas!!!

I hope, but realistically doubt, the RSPB are reading and listening to their members.

It's a VERY BIG mistake for any organisation to centralise activities around social media. Yes they need to be there, but they also need to be looking in other areas, and in particular their own comms areas.

Like a lot of people I don't visit social media, and with the rapid increase in spam in those areas, finding social media increasingly repulsive. I still have a Twitter acc, not X, I abhor that name, but that has become too repulsive from a spam perspective, and a huge number of blue tick accounts I question their existance.

I don't use FB, I do have an instaspam acc, set up by my son so I can see the photos of him and his girlfriend. But I don't follow any other acc, there's too much spam, in fact, its beyond a sad and desperate marketplace for trash.

Social media may be a convenient central contact point, and it may also be cheaper, but it is not one to place all your reliance on.

If the RSPB continue to be so narrow minded, then I for one will seriously consider NOT renewing my membership. They won't be the first.

Rant over for now, and my apologies to the rest of you.

I'm afraid it’s been like this for years on this forum. And the only way forward for this forum to continue if there are going to be no moderators available, and what I’ve suggested many times, but the majority are against this. It should be a members only exclusive forum. Where everyone who wants to be a member of this forum, would have to put there membership number every time they log in to this forum and only members of staff of the RSPB could check anyone causing any problems on this forum and also would have access to every members home address and email address. If they can’t do that, then this forum should be permanently closed down. Also I joined as a life member and will continue to give donations as well. But like everywhere else at this present time, the RSPB are having to make cuts. So maybe this is the best way forward! One more thing before I finish this post. Remember the new look website with the new improvements! There are still parts of the main website that still haven’t reappeared after the upgrade to the RSPB website around August of this year. I can only hope that the member on this forum who emailled the RSPB with some questions and the replies from the RSPB that everything, would be back to normal with the RSPB’s main website early in the new year. Well I hope that happens. But going by previous upgrades, I actually wonder if that will happen. I can only live in hope!

Regards,

Ian.